1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service Body

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mowerbrad, Jan 9, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad Junior Member

I've got a 1998 Stahl Service body on my GMC 2500. I got the truck from my local township at an auction. The service body had holes in the floor and in the side compartments and doors when I got it in 2006. Since then I did alot of body work on it at a local body shop myself. Once I got done with it, it had a newly installed bed floor, new side compartment floors, all holes fixed, protective paint on the under side and Line-x in the bed, step bumper and around the wheel wells. I am thinking into selling it and putting a regular pickup bed on my truck since I noticed that there is a small bubble forming under the paint and it requires constant attention to keep it looking good. I spent about $3500 to repair it myself and am looking at listing it for about $4500. New service bodies will sell for $7500+ as of 1 year ago. The box is 6.5 feet wide and weighs over 2000# so it is a little bulky for any plowing. So just out of curiosity does $4500 for the body sound like a fair price or is it too high/low? Thanks

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

do u have a pic?

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

In my experience used steel service bodies realy dont fetch alot of money unless they are really mint. As in paint and install it.
    I got rid of a 2.5 year old body cause it was already in starting to show rust.
    The new truck has a fiberglass body.
    Anway 10 yo body would fetch 2500-3K max IMO
    Look in the local swappers and see what others are getting.
    Remember with a new body at 7500.00 you are getting better treated steel and superior coatings.
    The 10 yo body most likely just has mild steel and primer.
    I wish you the best.
    Dino

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Single wheel or dualie?

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I would bet SRW. Being only 78" wide, and on a 2500 series truck.
    My dually body is almst 96" wide.
    Dino

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

IMO most people around here are always looking for a deal and would not pay that much for anything like that used and 10 years old. if they wanted something older like that they would buy one already on a truck. sorry if i sound like a troll but it just my personal experience.