1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service area

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Sep 28, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

A lot of people have asked about number of accounts. How about service area, how far do you go from your shop? My self, i have a 15 mile circle, although i have very few accounts that far away. If there not in the the 15 mile radius, i don't take um.

2. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

My personal route is a 1-2 mile radius.

Total routes for all 11 trucks = 6 mile radius.

Only the county gets paid to put a plow truck down the road.
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My personal route is a 1 mile radius. My brother goes farther, maybe a 10 mile radius. Even at that, most of his are within a 3 miles radius. There's just a few that are too profitable further away to pass up.

If we get any of the First Union contracts John Allin was talking about, we'll go as far as a 10 - 15 mile radius. Just for them though, not for any residentials or other commercials. I learned a long time ago not to spread out accounts too far.

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Let me think about this one a moment.......
  5. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

We going in a 25 mile radius. We cover all of Sussex County and some of Orange and Morris County.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

most under 10 miles
    afew full service (all year) are 15 or so miles 25 min drive
  7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I keep my service area limited. The majority of my accounts are in Stamford. I will do some in Greenwich and Darien but not too deep into those two communities. Just too much travel on small back roads for my personal liking.

Now if I am successful in bidding on some of those First Union accounts in my area, I will adjust my service area. BUT ONLY FOR THE FIRST UNION ACCOUNTS.