1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service Area Radius

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LawnProLandscapes, Apr 21, 2009.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

How big of an area do you folks currently service and what size company are you? im looking to add a second and possibly 3rd truck for this winter depending on what additional contracts i can grab and am trying to get an idea of where to stop looking for bids so i dont get spread too thin...

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Start at your home base and hit every place you want to plow and work out from there. But try not to take to many places that need to be open at the same time.

3. FBN

FBN Member

Just remember also that your travel times will be at least double what they are now in the good weather. You won't make much payup driving an hour between jobs. I am 1 guy with a truck and all my contracts are within a 10-15 mile radius.

4. LawnProLandscapes

good point gv,

true, im a little more in a rural area so i dont have too much traffic to fight with but still dont want to spread too thin. im looking at renting a shop thats about 25 mins from my house i work out of now and im just trying to hold on looking and visiting possible properties until i can find out where im going to be out of.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I would be nice to have your customers in a tight area, we are spread out in 7 different counties.

At 2:00am there is hardly anyone on the roads. In 15 minutes you can travel a long way on the right roads. Sometimes you have to go to where the jobs and opportunities are if you want to grow. payup

6. LawnProLandscapes

thats what im kind of facing. the shop im looking at is closer to utica ny which is one of the nearest cities to me and is about 15-20 mins from the shop im looking at and that would put me about equal distance in each direction from current accounts.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm a one-truck (or at best "one-person") rural outfit. I've always stayed with about five mile radius as drawn on a map, which would translate to about fifteen miles driving. The worst was starting at 3:00AM as the roads were usually unplowed with 3-6" of snow. (A couple years ago on a secondary road the snow was so deep it was "unpassable". The snow was higher than the plow when fully raised). I was usually down to around 35 mph at the most.

Your area may be better maintained. But when figuring travel time, I triple the normal time.

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

A 4 mile radius close to your shop would be good. If your shop was in the middle it would be ideal.

9. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

we service a 20 mile radius

10. LawnProLandscapes

im thinking thats more realistic for me, if i didnt something like a 5 mile radius i would have an extremely sparce selection of accounts. im looking to stay mostly commercial but i dont want a shop inside a city i want to be able to have a little room for splitting and stacking wood, eventual salt storage, compost and yard wastes all stuff that would be harder and more expensive to obtain in a city.

11. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

we have 3 trucks. one is on contract to a HOA and don't leave unless fuel or repair is needed.... second truck has about 8 miles outside our shop radius. 3rd truck is spare, just incase...

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm a "one and half truck" operation. About an 8 mile radius for me. I would figure double to triple travel time from what it is today. Lousy roads, slow drivers, frost heaves in the spring. Distance can play a role, but for example, I have a large school on one end of the route. 15 minutes driving for close to an hour's plowing. Makes it worth it to me. Plus I have another small business and a couple of resis within a mile. As far as trying to find businesses that open at different times, it would be nice, but not very realistic. Everybody wants to be "done by 7". Just have to prioritize as best you can, and try not to over commit. Schools are nice for me, because if we get a lot of snow, school is canceled.

13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We service an area roughly 20 mile by 50 miles. Some areas we have more work in than others. Issues seem to arise when the a truck that in a less dense area runs into problems, gets stuck, etc. I'm working on condensing things a bit more, & picking up lots in the core areas.