1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

service airbag

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sailinstud420, Dec 2, 2007.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 Junior Member

I have a service airbag warning flashing at me. I am guessing I knocked a wire off a sensor or something... Anyone have this happen? Where exactly are the sensors located?

Truck is '04 2500 gmc d-max.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

9 time out of 10 on a GM truck it's the clock spring inside the steering column that fails and trips the air bag light. The clock spring winds and unwinds every time you turn the steering wheel so it's even more common on a plow truck since your constantly working the wheel, and it's usually lock to lock when plowing..especially in tight area's.

Not an expensive repair but I'd highly recommend leaving up to the dealer to fix...you can cause more problems than you fix if your not knowledgeable on this repair procedure.
  3. sailinstud420

so is it/will it only trip when the wheel is full turn? I will have to pay attention to this tonight....
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, the wheel position won't make a difference one the problem is there. Once the airbag monitoring system detects a problem, it will store the code and blink the air bag light randomly until it's repaired.
  5. sailinstud420

I haven't seen a light or warning since last time i went plowing saturday... Seems pretty intermittent. I am thinking I possibly knocked one of the sensors down below, but not enough to completely ruin the circuit? Think that is possible?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure it's possible... if you have it scanned though you'll know for sure if it's a sensor or wiring problem.
  7. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

A bad or lose ground in the Air Bag circuit will show a service light
  8. RSheaLand

RSheaLand Member

I had to have air bag sensors and parts of the wiring harness replaced for the replace a few times on my 03
  9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Not on my trucks but, on my chevy cars it was always the front bumper sensor. I think $20 to replace.