1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

service air bag light?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by highlander316, Feb 4, 2010.

1. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

ok, the light came on a few times yesterday while plowing. It flashed on and off twice then went off. Came on again a few hours later then (also flashing on and off twice)? Obviously it involves the air bag. Should I be concerned though because we are supposed to have snow this weekend and I don't want to leave it at the dealer. Anything I should look for and anything I should be careful about? Would this throw a code that I can have scanned at Autozone? Thanks.

2. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

AutoZone wont be able to get codes, its not OBDII software, but I wouldn't be to concerned unless you feel you need the air bags to work. When the light is on it will store a code but you need to have the proper software to read it and just because the light is on doesn't mean the bag wont work, but they may not also. Problem could be in the seat belts or the squibs (air bag it self) or the crash sensors mounted on the vehicle. Could also be from the batteries getting low when lifting the plow, if the voltage drops to low it can trigger the light.
    Go plowing and get to the dealer or a shop with the right equipment when the weather is clear for a few days.

3. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

It was to my understanding that if the servise air bag light comes on then it shuts the whole system down but I could be wrong and please correct me if i am wrong. Also I have had the light come on a few of my trucks and it has always been that switch you put your key into to turn on/off the passenger air bag. But some trucks also have the weight sensor in the pass. seat too. Just my experience with them, I thought I would share.

4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

NCat. You are correct, the system will shut down if it looses B+ or ground to the control module, but if it sees a fault some place else and is still powered up it can still go off.
    Let us know what you find Highlander

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If it's your 07, there was a recall for some insulation removal below the driver side. apparently it holds moisture and decays the module located there( for the airbag) happened to me too. Dealer fix, when no snow on the way.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Just continue running, will not shut your system down. Just don't hit anything, your airbag won't work. Wear your seatbelt instead.

7. spy0068

spy0068 Junior Member

I am having the same problem.... As soon as I hook up the plow the air bag light comes on and will stay on pretty much until I take it off... I have had it flash on and off a few times without the plow on..... If you come up with anything let me know what you find...