1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service 4WD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chcav1218, Sep 10, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

The service 4WD light is on in my truck, but when I turn the truck off and then restart it, the light will turn off and won't turn on until a few days, sometimes weeks, later. What could be the issue?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Could be a faulty bulb in the idiot light!

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

From what your tellus us...I would gather its the 4wd.(Just kidding) Just put some black electrical tape over it and it will appear to have gone away.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many, many, times its the switch panel itself that creates this issue. In fact there's a GM TSB on the switch assembly for the '99-'02 trucks. Replacement switch assembly runs around $50-$60. Very, very common.

Once in a while its the encoder motor on the T-case itself...but the switch is way more of a common failure. Scanner that will read body codes will tell you for sure.

5. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Mine did that for about a year , if I hit a function button on the steering wheel it would go away , sometimes a week ,sometimes a month. Finally tried changing the switch and it hasn't showed up in over a year. There is also a ground connection on the body mount under the drivers door . Make sure that is clean and tight.