1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service 4WD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by watatrp, Oct 8, 2001.

1. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I have a 2001 Chevy 4X4. The "Service 4WD" light comes on ocassionally. Usually goes off the next time I stop and then start up again. When the light is on, I can't switch from 2WD to 4WD. Would be a problem if it happens when I'm trying to plow. The dealer says that it is most likely a faulty sensor. He says to bring it in when the light is on. My problem, it happens maybe once a week and never when I'm near the dealership or when it's open. How do I get this fixed? Anyone else had this problem?
  2. Mac

Mac Member

when a code comes on, that code is stored in the computer for 50 key turns. the dealer can access the stored codes.
  3. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Unfortunately that is not the case. Had the truck in for periodic servicing and they tried to get the code and found that the code is not one that is stored. On the way home the light came on so I turned around and went back with the truck running and the hooked it up and were able to get the code then. Ended up being a faulty sensor and covered under warranty. I guess it's a pretty common failure.