1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service 4WD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Jan 23, 2012.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

2005 1500 5.3L with 72K on it last night the "service 4WD" came on the dash and 4x4 did not work. once shut truck off and started it the 4x4 worked. not sure what that means? how do i get code from it? Thanks

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You need a scan tool.

My guess is you'll have a CO327 code. More than likely it's the position switch inside the encoder motor. Or, the motor itself ($$$). The dash switches themselves fail often too, but more so on earlier models. Mid 2000's seem to have more encoder motor/position switch issues.

3. DareDog

what is cost on parts for it?

i have scan tool i will put that on it and check.

4. cubicinches

The position switch is about 50 bucks or so. The entire motor is upwards of $400. I think there's places you can buy a remanufactured motor for around $250... I've never gone that route, but I've heard of guys getting them for that much.

5. DareDog

Just put the scan tool on it and there is no code and there is no "service 4wd" on the dash. does it reset?

6. cubicinches

Does the 4WD work now?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you're using an enhanced scanner you won't retrieve any stored C codes, or B or U codes for that matter. But if it set one it will still be in there for a while so scan it with the proper scanner to assist in tracking the issue down. Most times it is a faulty position switch as CI mentioned but don't shot gun it, find out first.

8. DareDog

Have a OBD II scanner,

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OBDll doesn't mean enhanced. Need to be far more specific than that.

10. cubicinches

You need a Snap-On Solus Pro or Modis, Mac or OTC Genisys, or a GM Tech II... or something equivalent.

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

My boss just had this problem with his 04 Yukon, GM offered 5 encoder motors for his truck. Ended up that the encoder sensor was not replaceable for the one he had. He ended up getting a new encoder motor at the dealership. Diagnosed, installed for $550.
    NAPA does offer a couple of them for about $250-$300.

12. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I have had no luck with any aftermarket electronic components on GM vehicles . Either they don't last long or don't work at all !

13. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

My 2006 2500HD service 4WD light was coming on at 48,000 every once in awhile then more frequent.I changed 4x4 switch on the dash and it hasn't come on since truck has alittle over 60,000 and light hasn't come on.

14. DareDog

just bought the truck 2 months ago and it had 2 month warranty called them they said most times its the motor and to not worry about it. i had it come on 3 times in 5 miles the other day.

15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Had the service 4wd come on once. Truck was out working in the summer so sent it into the shop the next day.

Will always stop and not finish the route after that one.

New transfer case.

16. DareDog

now none of lights light up on the dash (2wd 4x4 hi low auto 4wd) what dose that mean?

going to try to get it scanned soon.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  17. cubicinches

You mean it hasn't fixed itself in a month and a half?

18. Squires

Squires Senior Member

light comes on for a reason, don't buy the BS about it not normally being an issue, get it fixed with the warranty unless it has for the dealer conveniently ran out.
    if it ran out, get it scanned, takes a matter of minutes, and fix it yourself

19. Strictly Snow

Strictly Snow Senior Member
    from Oxford

Recently had same issue on my 99 it was the encoder motor(transfer case motor) 3 bolts hold it to the side of the transfer case and two harness plugs 10 min swap part was $179.00 but that was my problem yours may be something else

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  20. DareDog

the dealer is 2 hours away and it did it when test drove it, going to call them and see what to do.