1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

service 4wd light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ABES, Sep 17, 2007.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i know a guy that has a 2000 chevy 2500 NBS pickup. The "service 4wd" light keeps coming on and the 4wd doesnt always work. anybody else have this problem??? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

yea

this happened to me, i checked the fuse in the box next to the drivers door and it wasnt fully blown but something wasnt right with it, so i changed it out and everything was good as new hope this helps

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very very common problem on the push button 4WD GM trucks. 9 times out of 10 it's the control panel on the dash that's the problem. They're not very expensive and they're easy to swap out though.

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thanks B&B would the local napa have a part like this and is it returnable if its not the problem???

thanks

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I haven't seen them at NAPA yet...they're still a dealer item.

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

ic so should i ask for a "4wd control panel" then or what? do you know about how much these cost??

thanks

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, ask for a 4X4 switch panel assembly. They run about $50-$70 depending on who you know.

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Go to your dealer and ask them to check the switch, most likely thats the problem. My dealer didn't charge me to just check it, you can replace it yourself for $57.

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

so to get the switch out i just have to pop off the dash and disconect the wire and then pop the switch out of the dash right???

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely correct!

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

had a brand new 07 avalance with just installed level lift for the coil/shock front end. when all done it poped up service 4x4? ? ? ? ?

why if not unpluging anything would this comeon with less than 500 miles. :dizzy:

p.s. i shiped it to the dealer. :waving:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not uncommon at all believe it or not. The '07 Avalanche's had a bad run of 4X4 actuator motors during the first few months of production. Most usually show up within the first few hundred miles so it was probably a coincidence that it went bad while you had it torn down for the lift install.

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

1 other thing will i have to reset something in the computer to get the service 4wd light off.

thanks

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There will be a code stored in the 4WD module. You can either disconnect the battery for 30 seconds or, the ECM will clear the code itself after 40 key on, key off drive cycles.

15. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

Just thought I'd point out that I had the exact same problem (service 4WD light goes off - t-case won't shift) AND IT TURNED OUT MY LUBESHOP HAD PUT TRANNY FLUID IN THE T-CASE. I thought the red fluid leaking everywhere was left over coolant from the failed water pump I had just replaced. Needless to say I flush all my truck's fluids now. So heads up, check the t-case fluid before you go tearing apart the dashboard.

16. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Good idea. Most people think the newer GM trucks still use atf in the transfer cases. Not so, Gm has a special fluid that you can only get at the GM parts counter.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many newer T-cases do still spec ATF as the required fluid. It's mostly the ones that use an active T-case with an "Auto 4X4" position that use the special GM spec fluid. But you guy's are right, you gotta know what the fluid recommendation is for the T-case that your working with otherwise you can end up with a $2000 paper weight!

18. mrfixx

mrfixx Junior Member

mrfixx

ok heres the lodown on the service 4wd light,,back in 03 gm had many issues with the 4wd encoder motor and module,gm mounted the module in a spot that gets weather beatin which causes the service 4wd light,,their fix wes to move the module to the inner fender.. a friend has spoken to gm many many many times and stil hasnt got this issue resolved and they told him their working on a new program for the earlier model trucks..