1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Serpentine belt tension pulley

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PAGE2004, May 4, 2004.

1. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Heres one for ya guys - 7.3 INTL turbo.... my smooth tension pulley was wobbling and I was gonna replace it ... I got the new pulley but when I tried to undo the METRIC bolt that goes through the center of the pulley ...it was very TIGHT and wasnt loosening ... does this bolt loosen the OPPOSITE way ????

And ... while the belt was off I spun the pulley and it seemed that the wobbling was coming from arm thats attached to this pulley ... the one that bolts into the engine block .

I put the belt back on and figured I'd wait for some advise before I bust something .... tapping out broken bolts isnt fun.

2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Yes the pulley bolt has left handed threads. Usually the bearing on the pulley goes out, but I have seen the arms go bad too. You might as well change the belt while you got it off. Keep the old one as a spare.

3. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

THANKS ALOT ...really appreciate the info !

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

be careful when cranking down on it to make the gap to take the belt off, those idlers like to snap the arm off if you put too much pressure on it, then you are hosed and will need a new arm