1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Serious Rot and Rust

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Aug 15, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

So it all started when I decided to fix what appeared to be a small rust spot under the back door on my Ford Explorer. You can see the situation I found in the pics. I have no idea where to go from here, any advice is appreciated.

2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

looks like the typically ford rot i would highly sugguest going to top notch body shop if don't have time for full repair with welding in new metal or really over look over all conditon of the truck might be time for an upgrade
  3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the moeny on that since it's really just my extra vehcle (sentimental value, long sad story) or if I should just grind it down, prime it, and paint it and just deal with the hole in the side.
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

try to find a better replacement door before you get rid of it ,i would replace the door before i would repair it .:realmad:
  5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Its not on the door its on the jam and behind the running board
  6. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Looks like rocker panel, time to learn bodywork, cut out rust and weld in a replacement panel. Need a buddy w/welder etc . e z fix if ya got the time.