1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

separate trucks for residential + commercial

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gottaluvplows, Nov 1, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

A buddy of mine says he uses a pick-up and a jeep (crew) for just Residential driveways then another crew with 2 F-450's and 2 GMC Kodiak's For commercials
    Do any of you guys do something like this????
    I am thinking about doing this i would have to get a jeep though..
    Only thing i thought was the jeep would be wasteful since it cant pull trailers..
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I see jeeps all the time pulling....
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

what about a full size shortbed pickup?.
  4. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Got one with a V-Boss, it's a lot of fun
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Its what we do, dedicated equipment for residential, and dedicated equipment for commercial. Two seperate crews, that start and end at different times. If something were to break down, we can always use the others equipment when they are done.
  6. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I use a jeep with straight blade and a half ton chevy standard cab short bed for my resi crews. Did I hear right you have a jeep with a boss v-blade! I have one guy near me with an s-10 with a boss v-blade but he won't come off of it. Where did you get it? My dealer said they never built one until I brought the guy with one on the s-10 in to prove they did exist. I'd buy a dozen of them if I could find them! But back to the original question, yes I use separate and smaller equipment for resi"s. I was always told one of the best ways to be efficient is to use the proper sized tool for the job.
  7. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

If you have to buy a vehicle, why not buy a pick up instead of a jeep?? Way more versatile for snow removal.
    I split up my crews by having one truck plowing only(truck with plow and maybe a sander) and another that does residentials and commercial walks (truck with ramp gate, snow thrower or sweeper, shovels and ice melt)

Either way I can't see the benefit of buying a Jeep for snow removal. Just my opinion.
  8. heather lawn spray

Bad phrasing, Chevy 1500 short box 4x4 with a 7'6" V-Boss
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

jeeps are kick ass for driveways.Bunch of guys use them here.
  10. heather lawn spray

'the plowmeister' has a Jeep Wrangler with a 7'6" V-Boss
  11. CMU07

CMU07 Member

I now a guy with a boss v setup on a wrangler. he wrecked it (dumpster fell off truck and his boss saved his life) and had the exact same setup made, wrangler with boss v, loves it.
  12. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

we run 1 tons and 3/4 tons for the large commercial lots and have a ranger and yukon (old municipal unit) for the residential drives, but when the drives are done if the guys working on the large lots aren't done the small trucks go and help them
  13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

For a small operation like mine, I can't afford to have seperate trucks yet. I use mine for all types of plowing. I buy as heavy duty of equipment as I can. It needs to stand up to all types of work.
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We do as mos, I have a dedicated route for resi, wih a durango doing it. In an ideal world Jeeps or 1/2 ton short boxes for resi, 3/4 or 1 ton (longer wheel bases the better) for parking lots. With the longer wheelbases you loose some manuverability, but durring those long pushes or heavy snows they don't get pushed around as easily. That said I have done resis with my 3500 ex cab 9' flatbed dually, with a V box on it.
  15. heather lawn spray

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why what?

Post made perfect sense to me.
  17. heather lawn spray

why the 3500 ex cab 9' flatbed dually with a V box on a resi?
  18. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

When as an owner you get a call, have to fill in etc. I use what I'm in or have avaiable, if I was in a 6 wheel dump I'd still do it, its a difference of going home in 10 minutes, or 1 hour.
  19. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

Hey Brant's, just as an idea, i have got my small trucks form the municipal auctions they have in the area, example, about 4 yrs ago i was at one in men falls and got one of their 90 yukons with a western 7'5" blade and i paid $3,000 for it, and it is still running today, the ones from those auctions have had alot of maint. on them. and can get for a good value, it is much easier having a 3 grand truck sitting all summer than a new one.
  20. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

theres the bigger sized jeep wrangler with a hard top running around my area...the owner is an owner of a business,, he plows his business lot with it (HUGE lot for a jeep) takes him a long time but handles it well...

ive been seeing them more common around the city too