1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sensor question??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by groundbreakers, Jul 15, 2009.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

odd question .... i was driving in my 98 dakota today and all of a sudden the speedometer dropped to zero and the abs and brake lights came on but the tack still works . bad speed sensor or bad abs sensor ?? thanks for any input .
  2. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

The most common cause is the sensor mounted on the top of the rear differential housing. It picks up the signal from the tone wheel on the differential carrier.

It honestly could be anything in the system: Wiring, sensor, ABS module, etc. Most common cause is the sensor failing/damaged. If you remove it and it looks to have been hit by something, you may have some broken pieces in the rear diff. The factory Trac-lok diffs sometimes spit out separator plates behind the side gears that damage the sensor or tone wheel.
  3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

sweet did not know that .... i will check it out thanks a ton ...