1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Senior Discount? How much?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Do any of you guys offer a Senior Discount? If so, how much of a discount do you offer to seniors? What has your experience been with a senior discount?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No discount add 20% for pain and suffering you'll have with them all season.
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

lol so true! i always seem to have problems with old people screaming at me about every little thing... but to be fair there are the nice ones that bring you out food and pop.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depends. One senior I plow for gets a discount, but because she really can't afford it. Mainly, no. There really is no point, unless you use it as a marketing tool. Then you're going to have a lot of cheap senior accounts and defeat the whole purpose of plowing. For the most part, they'll still expect superior service. Most seniors I plow for want clear access 24 hours a day (and strangely enough, they are in and out all hours of the day and night) and those who do work seem to have really odd, irregular hours. Since most don't work, they'll be the ones calling you, wanting you to get them right now. Again, strangely it seems not to be early in the morning when you're trying to get people plowed out for work. In some ways, I like plowing for senior better; But discount? No.

(And by some measures, I'm considered a "Senior" - for instance MacDonalds and some restaurants)
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Alrighty then, nix the Senior discount. Thanks for the replies!
  6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

probably a good idea to axe this.......
    you could give a discount if neighbors sign on for ex........2 neighbors and give 10% each 3 neighbors 15% each..... 4 neighbors 20% each just a thought
  7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My largest commercial account is a Senior apartment complex. Man sometimes they can be a pain in the a$$. I got several calls last year during the super bowl Sunday storm that dumped more than 3 feet on our area. They said "You haven't been here to plow yet, that dangerous if a ambulance ever had to get in here" Needless to say i'd been through there 3 times in about 6 hours. Did I mention that the municipalities pulled their truck off the road. I think that was the worst storm I ever drove in. My vote is NO, No discount for them!!
  8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

They are always concerned about the ambulance getting in, even if they rarely leave the house. I have many that are great and never complain, but one or two expect way to much and also expect to pay less because they are on a fixed income... fix your income to include these types of services I say... I hate that type of nagging, you have worked and saved your whole life, and expect a discount when you are on two pensions???
  9. karol

karol Senior Member

senior discount

As residential snowplowing prices are low in general for the amount of work and expenses involved because of lowbaler's I'd say no discount for ANYBODY. Unless you're in the charity business.
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Ill second that. I thought it was 25% though......
  11. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

do ur charge a daily fee or everytime u go out
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you give seniors a discount do you charge non-seniors more to recover the loss?

Allot of seniors like everyone to think their poor.
    When in reality they will never spend all the money they have.

Yes, there are some who are truly are on a fixed income.
    They need the neighborhood kid to shovel or snow-blow them out.
    or I to will we a poor senior some day.
    I do this to make money not to keep busy.

The store can afford a senior discount as they mark up there merchandise. Even with the discount they are making money.
    What is your mark up?
  13. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Senior Discount? How much??

Again after reading the Pros & Cons on Senior Discounts? in referance to Plowing--I Chuckeled!! as a Senoir Myself Your Forgetting! YOU will be a Senior one DAY!--Yourself!--& Your ALL forgetting! theres Still Finanical steps in Our Society--$$ wise!--the ELEITE--the Working Class--those on Fixed Incomes & the Down Out!--the ELEITE are NO Problem--as they have their Own Equipment--so Scratch them!--the Still Working Class--those that Made a Good $$ Living while they did Work! & usually are still working at a part time JOB--just to SURVIVE! & theres those I refer To as Shut Ins? Elderlys Living in the Ole Home Stead & most w/Out a Vehicle?--these are trapped by Society as their On a fixed Income & w/ prices of every thing Rising juat about Every Day! & their Income IS Not Rising as Prices Go UP--& they usually have Medical Problems--so the Need to Spend More just to Stay Alive--& in considering Its NOT their FAULT-- On your Next visit to a Pharmacy take a Look at the Medical Pill Prices!--especially those Most of Our ELDERLY w/HEART & BREATHING & KINDEY & LIVER Problems! I Know! Were NOT responcable for any of Them!--But--their Medical Problems are There Never the LESS!--Me being a Senior I*M Lucky as I*M still in Good Health--But My Heart goes OUT to--the Ole GUY having to Carry His Oxyagen w/Him--or the GUY that has to Take BLOOD thiners--Due to a Heart problem--that MAY Bleed to Death If HE Hits himself & Bleeds internally or the Diabetic that has to GO for Dialisis Treatment--YEH! Growing OLD is a ***** by having ALL those Medical Problems the Young DON*T!--so it all Boils Down to using Common Scense!--so by All means Drive right BY! as their Nothing to YOU?--as Your a Business MAN Right! & their Problems Not Yours!--ME on the other HAND I*M No Body! so I*LL Stop & Plow E*M Out! --FREE!--& even STOP & Chat over COFFEE--just to let E*M Know! I CARE!--& You know? its really FUNNY! as they Call One other & they Tell their Neighbors That PAY! & it Don*t take very LONG before You have a LOT of Good PAYING Customers Due to YOU plowing them Out--FREE!--So Your GOOD DEED PAYS OFF in the END--Me in reading the Snow Site I Do Chuckel a Lot--reading all the Problems Most? Here Have! getting Customers? Knocking on Doors?--trying to get Customers? by UNDER BIDDING Who Ever?-- NOPE I Don*t have those Problems! I Don*t Advertise--I Don*t have TOO!--as I figure? Stopping & doing a three PUSH Drive for FREE! for Shut Ins & the ELDERLY never Hurt any ONE!--& PAY? that THANK YOU WAVE from their WINDOW is PAY Enough!--to ME! so You Guys Keep Driving BY!-- --OleTower--
  14. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

You may be the smartest guy in the world ole tower - but until you learn to type, i will never now.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: lol he is adding to much punctuation again it sure reads better with out it..
    I guess he is excited!

I dunn no, Jim,
    How about we have you plow all the seniors for free.:nod:
    I work for my money so I will not be a poor shut in;)
    They chose to be shut ins.
    There are a lot of options, staying at the ole home stead is one of them.
    It's a choice.

I guess if my rates were higher I could give a discount and make as much as I do now. This is also a choice.
  16. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

The Big Kahuna

Let me ask just 1 question, and then I will let it go.
    IF...Mr. Joe Schmoe Senior Citizen, asked you to plow/salt/shovel, and you did a EXCELLENT job, but for some unknown reason, forgot his cane with the ice spike on it for traction, and walked out his front door and busted his A$$... do you think he'd tell the judge when he sues you, to give you a "discount" because the rest of the place was nice? You can answer that, and that will be MY opinion.
  17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Never seen anyone bust his A$$ :jester: Great point, though! Agree completely
  18. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Senoir Discount? how much?

I*M Chuckeling again--Actually Splitting a GUT--Big Kahuna--BOB--Your Therotical Problem? of some One I Plowed for FREE!--SUING ME?--for Falling & Busting His ***?--Especialluy a Guy w/ a Cane? thats His Canes Spike has Broken??--I Dono? where? You Live? but HERE Ole Folk have More Scense than THAT!--& YEH I*M LAUGHING AGAIN!!--Heres a Therotical Question for YOU!--Your OLD & Shut IN! & some GUY?? Plows out Your Drive for FREE!--& You Go Outside & Fall & Bust Your ***!--because Your Canes Spike has Broken are YOU going to SUE?--the FREE BEE PLOWER?--If? YOU DO?--I Don*t have to tell YOU the Kind of Ole Person You ARE as YOU all ready KNOW!-- ENOUGH SAID I Rest my CASE-- & All YOU other GUYS can LAUGH NOW!--OleTower--
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i kind of agree with you ole tower. not completley . but kinda.
    it isnt a senior citizen id be worried about filing suit. it isnt the gen x or y generations either. its the ones in there fourtys that seem the most sue happy. :dizzy:
    reguardless i REFUSE to live my life paranoid ill be sued. i dont think its even mentally healthy. you get sued your sued. you dont then you arent. wouldnt be my first time in court. I take a more income based approach to this. i cleared out a mother with three kids last year FOR FREE because i knew she didnt have much money and had to get the kids to daycare and get herself to work. i would clear out a senior citizen FOR FREE if i knew they didnt have much money and were penny pinching to buy food. i wouldnt do either on every storm though because too much charity will make me a charity case. and most of the time FOR FREE isnt really free because these people find ways to help you in return. even if its just baking you cookies.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007