1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sending in a bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Theshoemaker, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

What do you send in with a bid?? (besides the bid) I'm thinking of sending in a copy of my insurance policy as well as a company brochure explaing what i do etc.. Any opinions or thoughts for or against???

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You'll want a phone number so they can contact you!

3. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

yes, the phone number is listed on brochure as well as the contract :nod:

4. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I really would'nt send a actual Borchure, May be some more like a written cover letter to be a little more formal to them. We send a Company cover letter with each bid. We talk about our abillity to cover there property in a timley fashion, profesonal manner, an will be avaliabe to them whenever a issue arise's. a little bit on our equipment we have to kind of show them we have the abillity to hande their work. Then we talk a little about our other services we offer threw out the rest of the year. than kthem for the chance to provide them a quote, a little Kissing ass kind of deal to make them look at the bid a little better and make them go HUMMM these guys may be a good choice. they seam to care about what they our doing !!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can send in a cover letter if you want and a list of places you may of plowed before. Insurance is good also to send out.

6. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

They are usually named on the insurance as the certificate holder and additional insured.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not all places do this . Most the really big companies will as for this.Most of mine don't care.

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

It's not always the same

We send different things with different proposals. Don't want to sound confusing but based on the type of account and what message we are trying to get across to set us apart from our potential competition bidding on the job, our enclosures change.

With all proposals go a professional cover letter, letter explaining our services and response times and names of clients with similar property sizes and types of facilities.

For us, we have found that although proposals are similar, every client is unique and so is our approach to closing the sell.

9. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

If they have not seen your brochure and met you, you are probably wasting your time and postage. Most good business books say it is 7-10 contacts to get someone to even consider a change....

10. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

Couldn't agree more. The marketing/consulting firm we work with is very up front about at least 7 contact points per year before they begin to recognize your name/brand, etc.

Keith

www.bertoglandscape.com

11. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Anymore, I'd highly recomend sending an e-mail with your proposal attached as a PDF and a hard copy to follow.

You get in front of them quicker, they can't lose it, and they see it again when it arrives by mail.

12. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

On new bids we make a strong effort to deliver the contract in person and walk then thru the contract, explaining the cost and the terms. As for including a brochure, go for it! Our focus in marketing is branding our name, even if they dont bite the first time. Include a dummy copy of your CI, Refrences.

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Maybe I am confused

I thought we were talking about sending the proposal. For us that means we have already established the contact with the potential client and completed out site evaluation. We do not send unsolicited proposals. I am not saying that is right or wrong either way. However, for us we want the opportunity to sit down and talk with someone about our services so they can make the decision to buy on Perceived Value and not cost. If they hire us because we are cheap, they will fire us for the same reason.

14. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

all of the above, plus a business card, and magnet

and heres my special tip -

when you loose a bid, send them a thank you card, with a "special emergancy service" number on a business card /and or magnet

something like this...thank you for the oppertunity to bid on your property, we are sorry that we were not choosen to service your account this year, but please know that we like to help all members of our community. Please hold on to this orage card in yrou wallet, and in the event that your choosen contract can not preform up to your standards or on time, we would be more than happy to provide you with emergancy service as a back up alternative. PS we also plow residenatial drive ways

they keep the card becasue it says res drive ways and they are then thinking for themselfs...but if t goes in the wallet, (make it a nice card) they will pull it out when the other guy fails