1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Semi truck capacity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snoworks, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

How much snow will a typical semi contain fully loaded. I am using 14 cubic yards, just thought I would double check with some professionals. I know there are lots of variables with loading a truck with dirt, concrete, stone, just don't know about snow!

I am bidding a 7 acre site, and they want all snow removed. After plugging in my numbers, lt will take alot of trucks to complete job even a two inches of snow.

Thanks CGB
  2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I think Dino and a few others addressed this previously, but the point to keep in mind is that the snow will expand, because of mixing with air. In other words, if I understood them correctly, 14 yards of snowon the ground, once loaded will actually accumulate to more than 14 yards. Similar to traditional excavation of dirt.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I can't agree with the idea that snow "grows" as it's handled. Snow is a crystaline entity, any time you move it arounf the crystals break down into smaller and smaller pieces, which fit together more closely. Were this not the case we would end up with a huge pile of snow after a very few plow runs. An extreme example of this volume reduction is when you use a snowblower. Often the area where blown snow lands ends up being a depression in the snow cover as the added material is taking up less room than the initial snowfall.

Handling dirt is totally different as you are starting out with a compacted material in fluffing it up as you move it.
  4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Its not yards its weight. You could probably cram 40 or 50 yards into a tri-axel trailer dump and still be legal. A typical tri-axel dump truck can hold about 20 yards.

5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I am so used to dealing with the tonage of stone etc. I will use 35 yards as my new benchmark just to be safe. Thanks for the reply. CGB
  6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Keep in mind that snow comes from the manufaturer in different weights. 35 yards of slush will weigh a lot more than 35 yards of the real fluffy stuff. My guess would be that average snow would be lighter per yard than dirt or stone. Otherwise, how could we push it around with pickup trucks? (Do you recall the thread about using plowtrucks as bulldozers?)

I'll take sides with those that say it'll compact when handled too.

And the result of all that will be that it'll be real hard to figure out how many yards you're trucking away until it's all loaded.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2002