1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Semi plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JLsDmax, Dec 21, 2011.

1. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone plows with a semi? i see some people posting pictures of their equipment on lowboys, does anyone strap a plow to the front of them and plow when they arent being used towing trailers? i've seen a few in Mass for the state but not many and not often.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think that would work very good because there is not enough weight on the rear tires.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I've seen a bunch plowing for the state of Mass. They always chain a huge concrete block to the 5th wheel. They are cool looking.

4. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

thats what ive seen

5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

NYS-DOT & Thruway Authority both run semi-truck tractors as plows in the winter. Usually do lowboy trailer duty in the summer and they install the sanding units on top the 5th wheel in the winter. Lewis County, NY also runs maybe an Oshkosh or 2 as truck tractor/plow combos. Check out DOT pic thread, they are there somewhere...

6. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

i actually saw a few in the DOT thread, that what gave me the idea of any members using semi truck tactors

7. Jersey Push

Jersey Push Junior Member

My uncle used to have a old R-Model Mack tandem axle tractor. Used it to pull a lowboy trailer. He had a 11' funnel Highway plow from NJDOT. For weight he used a hugh concrete block. That truck plowed very well.

8. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

my friend has a tractor plow on front concrete block on the 5th wheel. A lot like that around here in northern mass , all for the highway.

9. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

yup mdsha has a contractor that has 2 truck they have a king pin mounted to the bottom of a 275 gal oil tank filled with concrete. never seen them plowing but i guess they work they have exhaust lifts on the plows.

10. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Will take some pics of one of my brother in laws road tractors , he mounts large v boxes on them and plows and runs for the state. Pretty slick set up.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Few that run around here. One has been for sale for awhile that has a full size sleeper cab on it, fifth wheel plate removed and a V-box w/ liquid system in saddle tanks put in its place. Oh its got a wing too! There was also an international that ran around with a mafia block on the frame for several years and a friend of mine bought it after last season, completely restored it and permanently mounted a V-box on her. The truck looks brand new.

12. Len90

Len90 Senior Member

They seem to pop up in NJ as part of the state's contractor plow fleet. The contractor will just put a huge concrete slab over the rear axles to act as the counter weight. In NJ if the truck can fit the guidelines set forth by the state in the contract ( http://www.nj.gov/transportation/about/winter/pdf/contractagreementplowing.pdf ) then it really doesn't matter what the non-snow removal purpose of the truck is.
    Here is one I shot plowing last year:
    [​IMG]

This year I have seen state mounts on long ten wheel flatbed material transport trucks. Should be very interesting to see how those hold up plowing roads.

13. ff1241

ff1241 Member

14. ff1241

ff1241 Member

I have been going over the DOT pics and found some more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ch973934

ch973934 Senior Member

There's quite a few in Western Mass. In my hometown, a pool company uses their cab and chains down a jersey barrier for the city, while another local company takes there 10-wheeler tanker truck and hangs a plow off the front of that. Otherwise most contractors are all trucking companies with an old sleeper running with a v-box on the frame doing state roads.

16. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

the company i drive for has a tri axle and my tractor with a plow, it has a jersey barrier on the back of it, we also have 2 dedicated sander/wing trucks, all the big OTR guys are allways get all bent out of shape about the pretty peterbilt plowing snow on one of the highways:D

17. peter01592

peter01592 Junior Member

yeah i see them around NJ

18. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the old job i used to put a 10 ton concrete block on back of the 3 lowboy tractors to plow with.
    the blocks were poured with a kingpin in the middle, so you lock the pin in the fifth wheel, then use a chain and binder to keep it from flopping around.

19. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Last year that pool truck was a waste of money to the town. He was afraid to push the banks back or couldn't tell where they were. Spent more time just driving down the road making it look like he was doing something. I have 2 driveways on one of thier roads.

20. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

A ton of guys do that for Mass Dot. They either chain blocks to the back or slide a sander on the fifth wheel.

Here's one of a guy I know-
    [​IMG]

He also makes youtube videos on it with another guy with a frieghtshaker