1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

semi metallic or ceramic

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dawdy Services, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Dawdy Services

Dawdy Services Senior Member

That is my question witch is better for towing and plowing

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Huh?......

3. conifers4

conifers4 Junior Member

Oh I get it now, he's talking about brakes. I think....

4. dieselss

Really. Could be tires? Or ?

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Oem, my answer for everything, oem.

6. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

I stick with an OEM formulation from an aftermarket supplier. If it came with semi-met, that's what I use. If it came with ceramic, that's what I use.

7. dieselss

And how do you uhh know what it came with?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  8. Dawdy Services

Yes me brakes I'm going with new drilled and slotted rotors bit not sure what pads to run I do pull a 8000 pound mowing trailer 3-4 days a week and plow snow in the winter

9. dieselss

Ceramic then....

10. novawagonmaster

Most of my parts catalogs tell me what was OE. If your parts guy/store is half way decent, he can tell you. If he cannot tell you, find a better parts guy/store.

11. dieselss

Why not just go better then oem?

12. novawagonmaster

Define better.

13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

High quality, higher stopping power, higher durability, less brake fade, the list goes on and on.

14. Dawdy Services

I'm looking for some that will stop better than the stock ones I have 122,000 on the rears and about 35,000 on the front and it just don't really want to stop that well empty so it's time for new I have found a deal on 4 drilled and slotted rotors and semi metallic passe for 300.00 out ceramic for 270.00

15. dieselss

I'd do ceramic again I say

Better then one.....where do I begin. Or anyone else for that matter

16. novawagonmaster

What kind of truck?

I am not going to make a blanket statement saying one is better than the other. It's simply not true in either case. They both have their merits in different applications, and this is why OEMs still call for both.

17. Dawdy Services

06 2500 quad cab short box 4x4 5.9 diesel DODGE

18. novawagonmaster

Semi-metallic on that one. Just make sure you are buying good pads. Don't get the cheapies.

As for drilled and slotted rotors, don't waste your money unless you plan on lapping Laguna Seca or just like the appearance.

19. dieselss

Ok. Explain why semi?..

20. novawagonmaster

Short answer - because that is what the engineers at Chrysler decided was best for that application.

Call NAPA. They don't even list a ceramic pad option for that truck.

Look, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest. I'm just sharing what I have learned over the years. I have nothing to gain by recommending one over the other on an internet forum.

For the last 16 years, I have been running a large repair facility that services all makes & models up to and including one-ton trucks. We do lots of brake work. The last thing I want is a customer coming back through my front door with a complaint. The way I have avoided that scenario is by installing OE-type brake pads.

If a vehicle calls for semi-metallic brake pads, and that is what the customer is used to driving with, I give them the option. Ceramic pads will offer less dust, but they will feel different. Semi-metallic pads usually have a better initial bite. Ceramics require a little more pedal effort. If the customer had no complaints about their brakes (dust, etc) prior to them being worn out, I recommend staying with what was on there (in this case, semi-met).