1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seloniod Question for BASHER

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by jjcc246, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jjcc246

jjcc246 Junior Member

i have a 24 series plow. Sunday my under the hood Seloniod burnt. None of the plow places were open so I hit a NAPA. They had a listing (believe it or not ) for the sno-way seloniod but didn't haven't in stock. I had the guy get me a old ford style seloniod, installed it and it works perfect My question is, will I harm anything using this seloniod or is the sno-way part a must have ? It seems to be working perfect and even sounds better than the original, I checked after use to see if it was hot or anything and it seemed ok. Thanks for the help.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Ford solenoid will work in theory but automotive solenoids have lower duty cycles then snowplow 12 volt motor solenoids. when you get a chance buy the real thing to replace it with and keep the Ford solenoid to have as a spare. You won't hurt anything by using it so if you want you cann just run it til it drops, but definitely until you can get the real thing.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Napa stores here sell a HEAVY duty snow plow soleniod. They are used for winches also.
    I have ran them for 4 years now and no problems.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's all about duty cycle

5. jjcc246

jjcc246 Junior Member

hydro37 you wouldn't happen to have a part number would you ? thanks

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just ask for the heavy duty solenoid. They will know.
    They have them with 3 or 4 terminals.
    I have the box mine comes in at the shop and I am home but will try to get it for you.