1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Selling Old Plow Truck, Getting a New One: Questions

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NTL1991, Sep 21, 2007.

1. NTL1991

NTL1991 Junior Member

Hello, It seems like there's a lot of knowledge here, so I will ask a few of my questions.

First off, right now I am selling my 1992 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4 (2 door) with a 6.6' Fisher SpeedCast Plow because the truck is getting old and showing it's age. Also the plow has always been giving me problems; Now when you move the joystick left, the plow goes right and vice versa. Also, when I want to move the plow right, I have to jam the joystick about 2 times for it to "kick in" and start to move. Now, over the past week, the plow doesn't want to move left, I just get the "whining" noise from the plow motor, and usually the plow will then fall slowly by itself.

Well, that's the old one and I'm looking for a new Minute Mount plow and a decent truck. I am looking in the range of a 94-97 Dodge Ram 2500 or a 91-96 Ford F250/F350. The only trucks I am looking at are 3/4 or 1 ton pickups.

Now on to the plow. I don't want to buy a whole new plow setup, I'd rather buy one used or refurbished, etc. (I want to keep my total budget in the range of $6500 including the truck cost). Now I am interested in the Minute Mounts because taking off my SpeedCast is such a pain in the a** in the RI cold.

Could anyone recommend any good Minute Mount plow series or models I should check into that would meet my criteria?

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

The Speedcast was the best plow they made. You just need to adjust your cables.
  3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

On a F250 or a Dodge shoot for a 8' HD model plow as far which Minute Mount? 1 or 2 will both work, just make sure if it's a Minute Mount 1 its a later one with the three plugs and the Insta Act out front pump,

Newer models with the Storm Guard powder coating is the way to go, unless you find a older model that has been completely sand blasted and repainted with a quality urethane finish. The early powder coated plows have been a problem for most, it peels in spots where it had poor adhesion, then rusts, and where it didn't peel, it is nearly impossible to get off ! So keep an eye out for that, sandblasting and repainting a blade will be costly if done right, between $400-$500.

I think if you start looking around for a COMPLETE Minute Mount 1 with you can expect to pay up to $2300 for one in good shape, I just sold my three year old MM 1, 7.5 RD last week for $2300, it came off of my Excursion which I sold last July, guy could get the money out of his pocket fast enough.

Minute Mount 2's typically sell for $2200 for the plow side and another $600-$800 for all the truck stuff. I can tell you this for many years of experience, buy a complete package if you can, if you don't and you get a good deal on a plow side , you'll most like pay more when you finially buy all the pieces you need! JMHO

If your going Fisher, and I don't have any available at this time ( all sold out) check bdavis, he's got good stuff and at a fair price. If your open to other brands I do have a 8' Curtis Snow Pro 3000 for a 94-97 F250-350, it is complete and when I'm done the blade will be like new, it's out being sand blasted and painted as we speak $1900 with everything you will need!
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  4. NTL1991

NTL1991 Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. Tomorrow I am scheduled to go see an F250 with a plow (I don't know what year or plow is on it though yet) that has only 33000 miles. My brother-in-law works for a dealer and he goes to auctions and picks up cars and he gave me a heads up on this so I will be going to take a look at it. If the plow isn't a minute mount then, if I like the truck enough, I will sell the plow on it and get a new minute mount. The Snow Pro 3000 looks like a very promising plow though, so I guess I will have to check them out also.

Thanks BoulderBronco for your response. Are you talking about the 2 cables that go to the plow from the joystick in the truck? What do you mean by adjusting them?

Thanks Again Everyone.
  5. BoulderBronco

No problem. First problem is easy. The reason you hit the joystick left and the plow goes right is because your cables are opposite where they should be. Just switch them around in the cab or at the valve. Then see how it works. Also check the fluid level as it sounds like it may be low. Now, If there are still issues with having to jamb the joystick one way or the other to get it to work, then the cables need adjusting. If your at all handy you should be able to figure out how to do it. It is done at the valve side (plow side). There is usually a nut on each cable that can be adjusted to adjust the cable. Basically what you are doing is allowing the cable to open the valve. Right now it is not moving the valve open (or closed) enough so the cable must be made slightly longer (or shorter) by adjusting it. Same is true for up and down and left and right. It is a trial and error thing so being your first time it will take some time. First step is to figure out which way you need to adjust your cables. It's very simple just watch how the cables move the valves. It helps to have someone in the cab moving the joystick to watch the cables move. I know you probably read this and are thinking "what the hell?" But just give it a shot and I think you will find it is straight forward.
  6. BoulderBronco

By the way. The 92-96 F-series trucks were awsome. Especially the 7.3L Diesel engine. I personally wouldn't buy anything but a Ford but of course thats my opinion. Many of the Dodges have tranny problems and Ithe Chevy's front end is not all that strong. Those years of Ford are great. You should be able to pick up an F250 for around $4-$5K. Then pickup a used MM plow and your good to go. Or buy the package. I live in CO but I know there will be many of those particular setups for sale in the coming weeks out east.
  7. NTL1991

NTL1991 Junior Member

Thanks Again, BoulderBronco.

I checked the cables but for some reason it doesn't seem like I could swap them... But for the good news, I adjusted the cable on the plow side and I think I got it to the best position, then I tightened the nut down... It still works backwards, but at least it moves much faster then before. I do notice that sometimes when going from right to left or left to right, I have to move the joystick over to neutral a second time for it to kick in and actually angle the plow...

Thanks Again

Oh, and by the way, I checked out the Ford today and it happened to be a 1989 F350 XLT Lariat with an older Fisher Hydraulic Engine-Driven plow (which needed a good painting too...) but I was surprised at how easily the plow moved. I didn't have to jam anything and it angled precisely every time I hit the joystick a little. I kinda liked it. The engine on it, a 7.5l V8 only had 33000 original miles, but I didn't like how it drove. It had a real shimmy when going about 35-45 and the AC didn't work, which really isn't that important, but if I was going to pay $5200 which was what they wanted, I would expect it to work... So I think I'm just going to keep on looking...
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007