1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Selling/giving route ?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Tedd, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Tedd

Tedd Member
    from CT

I am looking for some advise on what I should or can do with my plow route. I recently was hired to a full time job and need to sell or give my route to someone. I am struggling financially and could use the money but am not sure if it is feasable. I have been plowing the same customers for ten years and have weeded out all the bad payers/complainers and now have good paying descent customers left. I want to make sure that they are well taken care of also. My route is about 11 residential and one large gas station and a small church in n.e. CT. I have another gas station and three more residential but are family so they will probably use my truck. Route pays about $900. @ 3", depending on salting. If anyone has advise please reply. Thanks, Tedd
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'd buy you dinner and that's about it. Your route is based on your personality the next guy might not get a long with them and lose customers. Just recommend someone else or if you have a couple other guys who plow offer up their names to your customers and let them decide.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just sub it out to someone this year, and see what is going on for next season. Insetad of dumping your loyal customers, sub it out at 75 to 80 % of what your getting, and see if you still have your new job next season. You make a couple extra dollars, and you keep your customers happy.
  4. Tedd

Tedd Member
    from CT

Thats a good idea, I will start talking to some of the descent guys I know to see if they are interested. I dont expect to make a bunch but have done alot to put the route together and think it will work out well for someone. Thanks for the advise.
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The subbing suggestion is a good one....if your keeping your truck in case it doesn't work out. I think the 80% is a little high I pay subs high or above market rates and am still about 50-60%
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

make a deal with someone, keep your truck, your route and still plow when your not working your other job