1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Selling Business - How to Determine Value?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cold_and_tired, Jul 24, 2012.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

After accidentally getting into the snow removal business and growing it to be our areas largest, I have been offered a job offer elsewhere with a great salary and full benefits. With a kid on the way, I need to take the smart route on this one.

Anyway, I want to put my business up for sale and have a couple perspective buyers in line. What I need advise with is figuring what the sale price should be.

I have about $8k in relatively new (only one season) equipment and a few other pieces that have 5 or 6 seasons on them.

I have two seasonal contracts with two years left on them. Each pays about $14k per season. In addition to the seasonals, I have six per push and hourly contracts that have a five year average of $11k each.

I have also included two seasons worth of consulting for the buyer. The business is also debt free.

To recap:
    $9,500 worth of equipment
    $94,000 per season of potential income with $28k guaranteed
    Two years of consulting
    Debt free business

Since no customer is ever guaranteed, I really have to eliminate the fact that there is any potential income. Therefore, I am really down to the price of the equipment and my consulting time.

In my mind, the negotiations should start at $12,500. Am I close? Way over? Under?

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

A Certified Public Accountant Is Your Friend
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My question would be is it a dba or Corp, to me that is a big question. My clients, contract with my business, not me personally, if I sold the corporation they still have a contract with the corporation. Maybe it is tge wrong attitude, but it would be know different if I hired an account manager and turn their propety over to him to take care of.
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I think you are in the ball park. Most "normal" businesses are valued by applying a multiplier (between 1 and 5) to the yearly profits' after you are paid a fair wage.