1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Selling Accounts, What are they worth?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edrenckh, Nov 29, 2014.

1. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

I am debating on selling, or giving away, my remaining snow and lawn accounts. As I get close to retirement, I want less to do with them.

They generate ~$1,000 per month, gross. It is not my main source of income, so it is a small piece of the pie I want to get rid of. The snow plowing is ~$5K, with some room to increase. The lawns are ~$7K. That includes ~$1.2K in fertilizer. So, ~$12K total annually.

I will likely keep my equipment, as I still need it for my personal use.

3 commercial lots on hourly
    6 driveways on contract
    6 lawns mowed weekly

Some of the accounts I also do snow, some accounts I do snow only. It is not 100%. I currently sub out my lawn care accounts and fertilizer. After the first of the year, perhaps ~3/1/15, I am going to notify the customers.

I do not think they are worth going to a business broker and selling.

Are these accounts worth anything? I assume something, but I am not sure.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I'd give them to a friend or a young person with a good business

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ok, I just paid you for the accounts and now the customer is going with his brother in-law's company instead. Now what? Are you going to give my money back?

I second handing them over to a strong growing young business. Maybe deal for a percentage of the profits for the first year, if that.

4. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Thanks for the replies.

I will probably hand them over to my sub, no charge, and let him do the billing, etc. he did not want the snow accounts this year, on a subcontract basis. Maybe on a full billing he may be. I was giving 85% of the total.

I will probably start notifying the customers soon, and a final notification in the spring.

I need to get out of MN for the winters!!! I have been doing this since 2002.

5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I would give them away.. Theres not enough there to charge anybody..

I wouldn't tell your customers in till a couple months of the new guy doing the work.

6. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

I agree. Unless you have multi year contracts signed and a guarantee that the customers will stay with a new owner it's really not much to buy. Also you can not guarantee the new owner it will snow. I also like the idea of having your replacement do the work for a while then let your clients know he will be taking over. Just my two cents