1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sell route here?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by neilc, Jan 9, 2003.

1. neilc

neilc Junior Member

I see we sell eqip and stuff on other board... is it OK to sell route???
  2. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Are you selling your route??
  3. neilc

neilc Junior Member

think so ,
    26 billable cust. all residentail, 1@25(elderly), 30-55 ,1@150(Private ln & 4drives) some sand, some shovel walks,
    fairfiled/westport, around 5&1/2 hrs last two 4" snows,
    have not notified custumers yet. not sure of procedure there, no idea on pricing??
    could also include: 02 silverado, 6.0 ltr, 4l80 auto, cab & 1/2, 6&1/2' bed, locking diff, 14,000mls. 8' western ultra mount and snow shovel

I'll keep the wife

after 25yrs the thrill is gone
    job promotion w/ all new responsibilies will definatly conflict w/ prompt cust service

let the bidding begin

I do plan to finish the season

guys? :drinkup:

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I'd say about one seasons gross for a starting point. I may take it if you paid me that much, but then I'm in a good mood tonite. Tommorow it may cost you twice as much. :)
  5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I think the initial drive would keep you from giving prompt customer service as well!!!!
  6. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I think I saw a book on EBAY about tips for selling routes online, you might want to look into it.:D Good luck, oh and does it come with a house too? I might consider it with the winter we are having....
  7. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

hard to sell a list. I've seen people sell equipment with a list as an incentive to buy the equipment at a slightly higher price that market.

A buyer will want a retension guarantee. for that you could get a commission of percentage of the contracts he keeps. After that was you hands of it. You will still get customers calling you so the buyer of the list will probably want you to refer these calls to him.

People here generally don't want to pay for a list because someone is going to plow them anyway and chances are they will get some of it anyway without having to buy a truck.

I guy was selling his route around here and not all customers went with the buyer and I was already in this area so I was able to pick up 6 jobs for free

just some thoughts
  8. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

selling route

had a fellow approach me to buy him out, truck & accounts.
    Talked to 2 of his before winter, they told my that they didn't want him back. I had them call him and tell him that, after they called him I contracted with them. After the 1st snow, had another of his accts call me wanting me to plow for them, they fired him.
    SOOO, if you plan on paying a premium for a list with equiptment be sure that you are not buying a dead horse

My $.02

9. Ground Master

Ground Master Junior Member

I'd only be willing to pay a percentage for a year........say 20 percent down and 10 percent each month till it reached 50 percent.......and thats the max if the route is deemed worthy.......just my opinion
  10. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I would only give a guy 10% max. Plow jobs are easy to come by anyway
  11. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I think that considering the type of business and the fact that Plowing is often closely associated with Landscaping and maintenance, the same rules for selling snow accounts could apply. From personal experience, as well as reading many posts on "selling accounts", I think the norm is about 10% of the seasonal gross. That usually is paid in a percentage down, say 50% (5% of the gross) upon transfer, and the balance in monthly, or incremental installments, based on customer retension.
    Provided that the buyer has the ability and necessary equipment to service the accounts, which determining that would be the responsibility of the seller ... then as long as the accounts are viable and not "ghost" accounts, everyone is getting a fair deal.
    If Equipment is part of the deal or being offered additionally, then its fair and current market value would be added to the total overall selling price ... so 10% of the gross sales + fair market value for the equipment.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2003
  12. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

They are not contract customers, and just plow accounts... so nothing guarantee that they will even move over then what are they worth.....

5% to maybe 10% for the list at most is its worth....
  13. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I would suggest a signed contract of extension of the accounts for the next year. But that is just me, don't even know if it any would go for it. Without that you run a good possibility mentioned above about the service and them not wanting the contracts filled anymore... Not that I doubt the level of service, but with that assurance, I would think it would be worth the %10 so you at least knew you were going hold the accounts for one season.:D
  14. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

$55 per push residential? Could be VERY lucrative depanding on spacing.

From data here, you're making over $300/hour and thus a HIGHLY valuable route.

The 5%, 10% or even 50% people should NEVER buy a business.

You pay for NET, not gross revenues.

~If you've got a sweet deal, you should get sweet money. If you've got accounts ANYBODY could get, then your list is all but worthless.