1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

selfish or responsible?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

curious what the greater collective thinks:

this year because of circumstances (aka didn't try to expand because i thought i was going to sub a 6-7 hour comm route) that don't matter i have a small route (mix of comm/res i've had for the past 4-3 years) that takes around 3 hours.
    i've been helping a friend who has had break-downs and spent 9 1/2 hrs plowing 97 res's over 120 mile route. now with the blizzard forecasted this weekend, i said that i would not be available to help, does that make me a jerk?

my reasoning is i want to stay on top of the storm, and with my little route that should be really easy. i don't want to risk breaking down (i busted a hose trying to finish up my buddies route) and having snow build up on my accounts. i know i also should be able to get some quick payup around my house with people getting plowed in by the town.

so what do you all think.....
  2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I would definately take care of my own accounts first... btw not to be an azz, but why in the hell would someone want a 120 mile route... you'd spend more time driving than plowing, sounds ridiculous to me...

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I am with you.

Keeping up your own 1st is the top priority.

If he has a truck he has been nursing along because he thought had you as back-up always then that is not your responsibility. He should take care of his own 1st just as you plan to do.

If you broke down could you count on him to back you up?

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I agree...

Look out for number ONE...!

Any buddy that would think you a jerk isn't worth having as a buddy if he doesn't understand your priorities...
  5. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

It was nice of you to help him once! If he has 97 houses on a route and can't manage it or his equipment then he shouldn't have a route at all and you should not risk your business because of it. Tell him to get trucks that work or have a back up. I mean- help if if you can, he's your bud, but only after you take care of your route. My measly 2 cents.
  6. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

I definitely agree with the others that you always look out for number 1. You never want to jeopardize your own business to help someone else with their problems. Not to say that we haven't been in that guy's shoes at one point or another in our lives.

BUT...on the flip side, did you already commit to this other guy and then just dump him when you saw the newest blizzard coming in? If that's the case, then you are no better than a fair weather friend (pardon the pun), a crappy friend at best. Obviously, I don't know all the circumstances and yes he has a RIDICULOUS route but if you gave him your word...then you gave him your word.

My dad always told me that "At the end of the day, you are only as good as your word" That has always stuck with me throughout my life.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's how I see it.
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with everyone about covering your own responsibilities first, but the way I might have approached it is just the way you've done all along (saying you'd be available when ALL of your stuff is done... not part way through, but DONE). Then you'd seem to make out well (albeit quite tired if we get a real lengthy storm).
  8. mps

mps Junior Member

I agree with most of you look out for #1 but like Tman said if you told him you would be there for him Friend or not, be there! (more so for a friend)
  9. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

If the man would die for you than you better be there for him. If it comes down to it pool your resources and be a team. They are right about being fair weather friends
  10. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Your friend has 97 accounts. Lets say they average $30 each. That is $2,900 per push. With 15 pushes that's $43,500 a year! Make the guy buy a new truck so he can support his own route.

As far as the length of his route, he needs to drop or sub out some of the further away ones.

You watch out for your accounts first. If you feel like it when its over, give him a call and see if he needs you.
  11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

$30 per push I wish, this is low budget rochester ny here, where $10 seems like asking for the first born:D

97 drives/120 miles was two routes combined. the first time i helped it was only about 40 drives and 70 miles (its 15 miles just to the start of the route from my house)

helping has always been a one time occurance, never a promis of everystorm i'm here for ya thing. his trucks/plows kept breaking this storm he has all 4 trucks running (so far) so thats why i said in advance to please not try to call me.

yeah i know its extra money for me, but honestly he loses money subbing to me (i charge him $5 per) Now be quiet all you jersey guys doing $60 drives, that said though, they aren't mine and $5 a drive is the reason i stopped subbing and started plowing for myself, it was the only way I could make the $120 per hour we all strive for to be profitable.