1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Self Storage Facilities

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowindiesel, Mar 10, 2008.

1. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

Just wondering if anybody has some tips for snow removal at self storage facilities. We have been wondering if there are some tricks or methods to effciently clear the snow away from the units. (Can't backdrag because of the raised concrete edge and the thin metal doors on the units) Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
  2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we plow a small one. and everything is linded up in rows. i find the easyest way to do it is with a V plow or an extendable wing plow.

1) pick a side and drive as close to the building as you can with the blade at full angle kicking the snow away from the building.
    2) repeat on the other side.
    3) push all the snow to one line in the middle.
    4) push it all to one end to stack it
    5) cleanup.

pretty simple.
  3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I dont think there is really anything you can do. We do one, and there is 18' of snow in front of the doors. We just got 2' of snow what am I supposed to do?
  4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

well your gonna want a big a$$ loader and some shovels.
  5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Man I hope you ment " (inches) and not ' (feet). If you have 18 feet of snow in front of the doors, I think you dropped the ball somewhere. :)

What I would do is:
    Run the walk behind blower in front of the doors and blow it into the drive and V-plow scoop it to the end. Repeat.
  6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Make a pass about a 4 feet from the doors, then plow next to the doors, doing this will give the snow a place to go and less snow will roll back in to the doors
  7. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

How would you....

How would you plow(with a truck) the storage facilities that have flat pads for each door and then a drop off/step so the next unit has a flat pad. The middle of the driving lanes is shaped like a V, all of the pavement is sloped away from the units so water drains down the middle. I'll try and get a picture of one of them. The closer to unit you get the steeper the drop off. Its enough of a drop off that the plow wants to go under the truck when its in float (with a straight blade and no wings). Bumping the controller to take it out of float and barely raising the blade just enough so it doesn't want to "jam" causes you to lose alot of the snow your pushing. Anyone have any suggestions on how to plow one of these types of storage facilities? Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? They're a pain in the *** to plow. With a V-plow in scoop the plow is further from the truck so wouldn't it want to "jam" even more than a straight blade?
  8. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Yes, sorry At least you knew what I ment.
  9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I would think a vplow would work best for a account like that! Sorry just my 2 cents:cool:
  10. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Excellent tip. I've been doing a large one for years. The first two with a straight blade. :dizzy:

You have to have a V-Blade or a winged plow for these places and 18" from the doors is standard. You can get as close as 12 if you're savvy but be careful. And be careful of the yellow poles that are generally at the corners of the buildings or around. You dont want to hit them. They dont move. :)

Run it to the ends and stack it. Give them a loader rate for removal if they desire.
  11. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Looks like i'm not the only one who thought they would move lol. :gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

100_0916 (Medium).JPG
  12. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

This is how we do it. You wont get all the snow away from the door and our customers understand that.
  13. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

14. plowindiesel

thanks for all the help guys...we brought in a bobcat with a push box on it and it seemed to work well
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The best way to do it would be to stop having retards design these places. Condo complexes too, ahh duh where do we put snow? Nice landscaping where's the snow get piled?
  16. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

My place is fairly well designed with large snow gates at all four corners but it is impossible to use them effectively because you just cant move that much snow out the gates after piling it at the run ends. No way. Loader? Sure.

So thats why they get a loader and man per hour price.

In a lot of ways they are great places to plow. No people. No cars, pretty well defined.

They can get boring after a while though.
  17. plowindiesel

i agree with mickirig
  18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If your going to design complexes in Ohio think about the weather we have. Ask what is needed and what we should make allowances for. If you just made a gentle slope to the complex so water would run off and snow could be removed. But NO, we have to have more work for the concrete guys. Add more bells and whistles that are not needed. I see the same stuff in condo complex's. Add more bushes and little parking areas, forget about snow removal. End that 60 degree drive in a garage door, the door will never get old.
  19. hawk29

hawk29 Junior Member
    from Sw ohio

Ahh, storages that is my industry Arch/Eng and CM we have built over 25 facilities in ohio and still own or manage over 15. Anyway the inverted crown always works aginst you. Best way to clear is to make a pass 3-4' from doors then a second pass along the building then push out the center and stack. You have to be carefull though as there are some places where you have to push 200' out of the aisle and drifting snow is always bad as all the snow off the roofs usally ends up in the aisle so when you get a 4" snow, in the aisle there can be 6-8" or more 70% of the time. i know a couple of people who just make a couple of passes along the buildings and don't clear the aisle, but the storage customers will complain to th efacility as they can't get trucks down the aisle's and to me it is best to completly remove all of the aisle areas. We have facilities 100 miles away and our managers tried thto save $ and used the 1-2 pass method just along th ebuildings leaving all the snow in the middle of the aisle. This worked okay for 2 years then my fear of this method came true when more snow and then rain and ice came. The buildings flooded as the water had no where to go and the ice build up prevented removing the old packed snow in time. As for the bollards (posts) watch out for them we have truck drivers who use them to jocky thier trailers (18 wheelers) around the corners. Also as a note theses places are best done hourly as the time can quickly add up. At one of our places last year I spent 6 hours and put 22 miles on my truck!! this was also a 10 acre facility. I use my 98 k1500 regcab/short bed because you can maneuver some what easily around the corners. A long bed crew cab just cannot maneuver efficently around the 20-30' drives and skid steers don't seem to work good with the inverted crowns and stepped drives as there is no suspension travel like a truck and half the time you just spin. As for larger loaders becarefull as the machine weight will likely damage the paving or catch the paving of the inverted crown.