1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Self Propelled Walkway Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mcass50, Jan 24, 2013.

1. mcass50

mcass50 Junior Member

I'm looking for a more efficient way to spread ice melt on the walkways of a 90 acre apartment complex. The walkways are 42" wide and the push spreaders just don"t do a good job, they're always getting clogged up and spreading way more salt over a way bigger area than needs to be done.. not to mention they constantly need to be refilled because of their small holding capacity.

What I'm looking for is a self propelled spreader that can be adjusted to spread to about a 40" width with a decent size holding capacity (at least a wheelbarrow or 2). Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any input!
  2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Why don't you try a commercial duty drop spreader and have a second guy walking behind with a wagon filled with bags. He could also hit the steps.
  3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

just throwin' this out there...not self propelled but maybe big enough..epoke20

http://epokena.com/user_files/images/File/Towed Brochure 2008.pdf
  4. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Particular reason you are not using an ATV?
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a permagreen and the make a deflector for the left side.
  6. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

A self propelled top dresser would work right size and width
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

What I was thinking My set up is so much faster then a walkbehind anything
    My ATV spreader with a rubber skirt will drop Icemelt on any walk I have mine set for 48'' walks I can raise it up to next hole and can do 60'' walks

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

After reading this for the third time You are using a fertilizer spreader Not a salt spreader Right??
    If you buy the right push spreader You will beable only cover 40'' wide