1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

self propelled lawnmower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bribrius, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i have a self propelled toro walk behind with i think a 22 inch cut. i wanted to put some type of blade on the front to push snow. im thinking i can rig it up with some cables to move it up and down. I just want to bid a couple small commercial parking lots nothing to big but wanted to know what you guys thought. I thought of maybe a push mower for drives but im not sure if im strong enough to push it far with the snow and all.

i was wondering if they make a lift kit for it since im thinking i might get stuck on my own windrow.\\

any advice please feel free.
    thankyou in advance.:waving:
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you going to do with the blade/spindle spinning like crazy under the deck? Why don't you just get a snowblower?
  3. bribrius

i think the blade spinning but help keep it from getting stuck on the windrow. along with maybe a lift kit.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

lol:rolleyes: A thatching blade would help to break up ice the too
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A set of chains and some ballast would be a good idea also!:D
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

make sure you get some timbrens and turn up the t bars!
  7. ray@cape.com

ray@cape.com Junior Member
    from gardner

Why not just buy a..... what do they call those thingies....... um Snowblower? Might be cheaper. Just a thought.:rolleyes:
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Think vee instead of a straight blade... much less pushing resistance that way. Maybe a set of wings to add a little extra width...less passes to make that way.

Stay away from the cable lift idea...way too technologically advanced...think chain lift.

A set of ATV wheels/tires will help with the ground clearance and make a lift unnecessary.

Oh, and make sure you have plenty of strobes on it (and yourself) for good visibility. Couple dozen should do it. Leave them on at all times...especially while your traveling down the road between accounts with it in the bed of the truck. Think safety.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On yourself, not on the mower. Much more effective that way.
  10. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

alls you have to do for ballast is to mix some quickcrete in the bagger then reattach it and there you go...
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There are several threads related to plowing with a lawn mower. Do a search using "lawn mower". Also there was a guy here several years ago who did a good fabrication job of putting a blade on a mower. I think his screen name was "Lawnboy".
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

now wait give the guy a chance....

I have many areas, that are too small for a tractor, and yet snow blowers just seem slow, after all , if they were fast, we would have them on our trucks instead of plows

I thought about designing a walk behind plow... i know theres a few companyies that make them for ur current mower, but what if there was a simpiler smaller option, like using the 2 stage blower drive design, which is simple and gets good traction....just put a plow on it, say a 4 foot V blade, that could be manuely angled back , to make it go down a 3 foot walk or less... but hey i could be:drinkup:
  13. bribrius

do you know what i might get approx. for mpg?
  14. bribrius

i have one but the shear pin broke
  15. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

look for an old simplicity rear tine tiller/snowblower i have two of them one has a snowblower the other has a blade in the winter the blade works well for light snow but if its over 2" you need the blower. the blade cuts time in half
  16. Township1

Township1 Member

If you are thinking of doing commercial you should consider adding a spreader. this will help with the ballast issue, and may give you more area to mount a few extra strobe lights.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod:Good Idea!!! Like the type thats designed and marketed for the gators and SUVs, only smaller!
  18. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

just a rough idea here:

19. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

youre gonna be pushing that thing more than you would a shovel. those little wheels will do nothing. but hey, ill be damned if it works
  20. Township1

Township1 Member

Like the spreader. I think the plow should be power angle. Definantly need more strobes, but I like the plow lights