1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Self Powered Snowblowers for Skid Steers?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Greenmtboy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes them for skid steers or compact loaders?

2. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Never seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Just wondering why? What's wrong with hydraulic power? A lot less cost, maintenance, repairs, moving parts, weight, etc. I can't think of any benefits to another power unit. As heavy as it would be, you would need a decent sized machine to handle it, which should have sufficient hydraulic output. Visibility would likely also suck. I just don't see it. A decent machine with even standard flow should run a properly sized blower fine and high-flow would certainly do the job.

So why would you want a self-powered unit?

3. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Red Devil Snow Blowers they have them check to see if they have one for the skiddy

4. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

I was just curious, not looking to purchase just never seen one. To answer your other questions: With a hyd. blower your efficiency goes out the window, you lose to much hp through the hydraulics. A self powered blower would run circles around a hyd. blower, their is a lot less power loss = more efficient, yes it would be heavier but manageable. I don't believe you would lose a lot visibility. Their would be no need to run your ss at full throttle and less wear 'n' tear on the hyd. system. I have nothing to prove this, its just my opinion.

5. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Last year there was two Fair 72" blowers for sale around here, they had a smaller diesel engine to power it. I was going to get one if I got the one bid but never got it and never followed through with them. I 'think' they would work better than the hydraulic powered ones.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

most likely too heavy for a compact loader to handle

7. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

the bernco blowers would fit in if you add the adapter plate

8. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have hydro powered blower . Dealer said there would be power loss but I really cant tell and i have never been side to side against anyhthing else to see if there is a difference.

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting concept, never thought of it.

Would be very nice though.