1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

self installing a mm2 extreme v

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by notaclue, Mar 5, 2009.

1. notaclue

notaclue Junior Member

has anyone out here installed their mm2. i am wondering what kind of a project this is. my buddy will be helping me and he did his on a gmc 2500. mine will be going on a 1999 f250 powerstorke. any suggestions or hints. thank you

2. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Keep an eye on the power steering lines when installing the push plate on the drivers side, make sure there is enough clearence.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sharp drill bits on a AIR drill, dont use an electric, will be going to the ER for a broken wrist. Theres only 8 holes to drill but theres alot of meat there. Get a floor jack, may have to jack up the truck up by the frame if theres significant sag in the springs. Hook up the park/turn wires while you have the bumper off, heck of alot easier to get the screws and housing out with the bumper off.

Oh, and read the instructions before you start.

4. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I thought it was easy. the only hard part for me was getting the damn wings and everything lined up for the center pin, but once that was in it was a breeze. Makes me wonder why people pay the $500 or so dollars for the install.

5. kj330

kj330 Member

on my old 99 ps i only had to drill 2 oles on each side the rest were there from the factory.

6. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Not sure how much they differ but I didn't have to drill any holes on my 08'.

7. M&M

M&M Senior Member

There was a good thread started by Doakster last fall. He installed his on his F250. Not sure what year. I'm sure you can search for it and check it out.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

The wiring itself is easy. The harder/scary part is drilling the holes in the frame. I didnt have to dirll anything on my truck though.

9. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed with Chris wiring is easy, drilling thru frame not so easy. My mechanic broke 2 $20 bits and almost broke his wrist drilling thru with a electric drill. but they never installed a plow so they didnt know what they were in for i later found out, and it took em all day. Up here install is about 300 or so, it was almost worth taking it to the dealer for as much aggravation i got from my mechanic not to mention taking him all day when i could of got it done in about 3 or 4 hours according to the dealer.

10. fisher guy

11. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Hope my Thread can be of help. To the OP, your truck a 99, will be very similar if not the same as mine, I already had the push plates on, so I didn't have to install them, but that should be straight forward.

Here is my overall recommendations doing the install yourself.

- Follow the directions, Follow the directions, Follow the directions! I don't know how may questions pop up that can be answered from the installation and set up instructions, and I have referred back to them multiple times in tweaking my plow. Never once have the directions failed me.

- You will probably want to run the short stacking stops, this has been discussed over an over again by people thinking this is an issue, it's not plan and simple. I run the short stops myself. Here is a thread on this if you have questions, I made a phone call to fisher which helped answer questions about this.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=67747

-When you are doing the wiring, it really it's that hard, take your time and the easiest thing to do is reference the main wiring diagram that comes with the instructions, make the wiring look just like that and you shouldn't have a problem.

Also here is a thread about where I mounted my Fishstick controller, it's very easy, and the controller will come off in the spring and know one will notice it was ever there.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=76819

Thread of my hydraulic hose wraps that I added.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=69422

12. fisher guy

hey doakster good advice how is that xtreme v of urs doing anyway???

13. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

The ExV is holding up good, no problems yet....i don't use it much, I actually leave my truck at my folks place so they can use it, i don't have the need for the plow where I'm living right now. Kind of a shame, my F-350 doesn't go anywhere except the driveway and the plow has stayed on all year.

But it's a heck of a plow. I wouldn't by another plow that is not a V

14. fisher guy

cool good to hear man my boss is picking one up next year with his new truck. shame u dont use it much ill take it off ur hands if u ever wanna just donate it to someone in need though lol

15. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

One other thing I would recommend is the back drag edges, they work very very well, no comparison to my previous 8ft straight blade that didn't have a back drag edge or my oil 7.5ft that doesn't have one, the back drag edge scraps very nice, worth the money

16. fisher guy

sounds good to me but we dont do any resis its all condos my boss is to lazy to back drag he just calls the backhoe in and has him do it as a matter of fact i havent seen him backdrag once this year lol but thanx for the input though