1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Self Installed / Warranty Work

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bltp203, Feb 21, 2007.

1. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Can anyone tell me if BOSS still will honor it's warranty if the plow is self installed???

Looks like I can save alot of $$$$ by purchasing on-line and installing it myself. But, I don't want to risk losing the warranty.

2. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

Online Plow Purchase

WHERE ONLINE ARE LOOKING ?

JUST WONDERING.

AARON :)

3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Looking at etruckequipment.com

I don't mind making a purchase during the spring or summer as long as the price is right.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you priced against the local dealer, with you doing the install. By the time you figure in the freight the deal doen't look so good. They are list the manufacturers list with is rarely the price plows actually sell for. The savings might not be as large as you think.

Snoway would honor everything but the install if you installed it yourself, but you would have to take it to a authorized snoway dealer. I'll bet it's the same with The Boss.

5. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I had bought my poly vplow from the local boss dealer and put it on myself. I have had it back twice for warranty work and all they ask me to bring in is my sales receipt and there is no question ask. I have had a angle cylinder replaced and a touch pad controller replaced under warranty. I don't think you will have a problem.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

It's going to depend more on the dealer than the manufacturer.

I had a Hiniker installed once by a dealer. It broke 3rd storm in, and I tried to trouble shoot it. I figured out the problem, took the part in (plow was disabled) but they wouldn't warranty the part, I had to bring the whole plow in, complete pain.

I had a Diamond plow once, different dealer, and once I worked on it, whether I brought the plow in or not, the warranty was void (or so said the dealer).

I found a different dealer for Diamonds (no where near my house) that honored the warranty, got the plow fixed, and promptly sold it.

Now I run Boss, and my dealer doesn't care if I bring him the plow, the part, or a list of parts that I need to get the plow running, as long as I bring the non-working parts back to him for warranty.

The only stipulation is that if the parts are not found defective, then he has to charge me for new ones.

7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Basher........You may be right. Maybe taking the "on-line" + freight price to the local dealer and looking for a deal may be better in the long run.

8. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Boss

I just bought one in St Johnsbury VT 9'2 Vee $4800 installed. I checked the web site you mentioned and it looks like about 200 less. I wouldnt do it myself for that.

9. firefly98

firefly98 Junior Member

I think it depends on your dealer. If he is a good dealer and stands behind his product he will honor warranty. I have had no problems with my BOSS dealer. Bought plow and put it together myself. This saved me about $500.00. Shortly after I installed plow there was a recall to update the signal light lenses. He called me and said stop by we can change them or just pick up lenses my choice. There was a second recall to replace roll pins in mounting pins. I picked up recall kit and put them in. The only problem you may run into is buying off line and not through the dealer. Dealer might not be so eager to do warranty work. Basher is also right, have you priced the cost of freight?