1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Self installation. Ya or nay?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Blink74, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Blink74

Blink74 Member

I'm considering mail ordering a plow and installing it myself. I feel $400 dollars for professional installation of a plow is money well spent. However, I can save over 1k and get it done sooner by mial ordering the plow and installing myself. I used to do car audio and electronics and I do most of my own maintenance so I think I can do it right. How big of an undertaking is it? Is there much cutting, drilling and modifying, or is it plug and play. I'm looking at a Boss plow on a 2007 Silverado 2500 hd.
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

what kind of plow? i did my Boss myself and had no experience before. just follow the directions and take your time to do it right. its not a hard job at all, just alot of steps.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The GM bodies are the easiest truck to put a mount on, electrical shouldnt be to bad for you since you have experience with automotive electrical.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A Boss plow is fairly easy to install. Go for it.
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you have the tools and a little mechanicle knowlage you can do it no probablem.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know how they work,I just know how to use them. Sometimes if your not sure your better off getting it done ,this way if something happens they can't say warranty voided.
  7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Welp, theres a good argument for both

If you do it yourself, you know what you have done, so you can fix your stuff better later if you need to.

If you have a pro do it.......well it's done by a pro and you can (and will) go back to them later......so everything will be familure to them and like GV says it's covered.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That is a realy good point. I never thought of that.
  9. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

The warranties that I have seen for installation are 1 year. I would rather save the money and understand how everything works myself. I have installed three plows in the past four years. As long as you have the manufacturers instructions, it is fairly straight forward. Make sure you have sharp drill bits and protect any wiring that is touching metal or near heat. Good luck!
  10. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I have installed all my plows myself, I guess I am particular about things.

Installed a Meyers e60 back in the day on my 79 F150, couple Sno-ways and most recently a Boss on my 2500HD and all have went fine and no issues after the fact.
  11. bkstoffe

bkstoffe Junior Member

self - install

I installed my new Hiniker myself - it akes a while to do it, but you know it is done right.
    I a far too picky about accesories to let someone else work on my stuff. If you are mechanically inclined, patient, and have a nice heated shop - it is actually fun.
    I know you are talking about a Boss, and I have Hiniker, but it cant be that much different to install. I have a second 9.5 on its way, and I will be insatlling it as well.

just my 2 cents :)
  12. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

When I bought my boss I paid to have it installed on my dodge. I sold the dodge and upgraded to a GMC and did the truck side install myself with new parts I ordered from CPW. It was pretty easy, and now that I've done it once I plan on doing all future installs myself. I've never ordered a complete plow and had it shipped via mail but I would assume the harness, lights, springs, A frame and hydraulics would all have to be bolted up???? But I wouldnt know for sure but Im sure someone does:) but even with that if you have a nice warm dry place to work and air tools sounds like a piece of cake!!!!! just think of the knowledge you'll gain and the payup you'll save
  13. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Go for it! I did my fisher by myself on my 2000 Chevy and it was easy. Just take your time and run the wires and cables exactly where you want them. I ended up rearranging mine because I wasn't happy with the way I did it originally.
  14. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

i've also done a couple and not that bad... for $400 I'd pay , but to save a 1000 i'd do it myself...
  15. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

We installed all of our own plows this year, and they weren't that difficult as long as you followed the steps and have air tools available.
  16. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Like everyone said. The right tools and some patience will get it done. As with car stereo installations make it clean. Rubber grommets when passing through the firewall. Tie all the wires up. I like to use extra corrugated sheathing to protect all the wires in the right spots. Stay away from crimp connectors and anything that can fail on a dark road at 3AM. Not sure on your plow, but the westerns Ive done were pretty much plug and play except the ignition wire.
  17. fakemam

fakemam Junior Member

did my boss 8.2 v last year do to the fact that it would of taken my a dealer a month to get me in. wasn't that bad just took a day or so to get it installed. now i know how the plow works so if something goes wrong i have a better knowledge of how to fix it.
  18. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would do the install, really not that hard if you can read and know righty tighty lefty loosy. Plus if you have a question just post it up in the boss section. No dealer can void the warranty of your plow because you self installed. Now if the plow falls off the truck, then it is your fault! LOL
  19. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I had my new Fisher installed by the local Chrysler dealership. When they finished and I went to pick up the truck, we popped the hood my jaw dropped. I would have spent days figuring how to hook up all those wires. Keep in mind, I'm not a car guy. I've hooked up my own aux. lights but that pretty much concluded my vehicular electrical knowledge. The guys at the dealership did an awesome job. Well worth money to have it installed by a pro.
  20. Blink74

Blink74 Member

Thanks for the replies. I went to bossplow.com and checked out the instructions. The Install looks a lot easier than I thought it would be. I ordered a Boss 8' super duty today from Northern Truck.