1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Self Install?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by kid6725, Nov 15, 2006.

1. kid6725

kid6725 Junior Member

Hi....Im a newb at snowplowing and on the forum....I have been searching the posts for a while trying to gather information on plows. My question is how hard is it to install a plow yourself? I have a 2003 Chevy Crew with the diesel engine and I have been looking at the Hinker 7'6" and 8". I have installed the B/W turnover gooseneck hitch and I am fairly handy with fixing my vehicles. Is it worth it to try and install a plow myself? I know most people say it takes 7-8 hours.
  2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I did mine and it wasnt so bad, The hard part for me was puting the upper truck mount on in the front where the tow hooks are. (the ears on the upper frame mount was bent)
    You will have to drill two 1/2" holes into your frame 1 on each side.
    but i didnt have to remove my bumper or trim it.
    Hiniker makes it sound like its a hard job, but I did it by myself and save a bunch of cash.

It's so easy to put on and take off.

But compared to my old meyer, Hiniker is far above them in quailty.
  3. kid6725

kid6725 Junior Member

That doesnt sound bad than..

thanks for the response..
  4. Proscapez LLC

As I stated in another post I have the owners manuel in a PDF format, I can email it to you if you look at it first.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I installed mine my self also.

It's not that hard to do.
    Plus it's kind of fun putting them together.
  6. kid6725

kid6725 Junior Member

that would be great...

7. turk

turk Junior Member

I installed my own on a 01 ford s/d 350. It really was a pretty straight foward job.
    :dizzy: I spent more time trying to find a drillbit (2 footer) for the foward mounting bracket, we ended up buy a drillbit and mild rod iron and welding our own.
    If you can read you can install your own plow, the manual is pretty good at explaining the process.

Good luck
  8. dduramax

dduramax Junior Member

Installation manual

I just purchased a used 8' Hiniker off a wrecked 2003 Chevrolet. I need an installation manual. Lawns & More said that a PDF version may be available. If someone could let me know where to find it or send it to me I would be :) .
    thanks, ddebevec@rangenet.com
  9. Proscapez LLC

I wasn't able to find anymanuel online, But hiniker email it to me.
    I only wish I could post it for others, who need it.
    I guess one of these days I'll make a new website, and I'll post it then.

But in the mean time I'll email it to anyone who wants it.

You have email.

10. Rayg

Rayg Junior Member

user manual

Scott I would like a copy of the user manual also if you could. I am new to plowing and just bought a used plow and mount. I need the harness and controller and I will be off and plowing if we get snow. I will be doing the install myself once I get all of my pieces together.

Thank You in advance
  11. Proscapez LLC

welcome to the board.
    I would be more then happy to email a copy to you.
    but I need your email address.

12. Rayg

Rayg Junior Member

13. josh3049

josh3049 Junior Member

scott, I guess maybe now i am in the right spot. email is josh3049@hotmail.com. sounds like i have the same problem as ray, its hard to find the wiring used for these plows. With a diagram im sure i can make my own. thanks again,
  14. Proscapez LLC

I sent them both out, I also have a headlight version to but is for chevys
  15. josh3049

josh3049 Junior Member

actually mine is a chevy. Its a 94 3/4 ton. dont know if there is any difference.
    thanks again, Josh
  16. TenOfClubs

TenOfClubs Junior Member

I found mine easy to install. It came from a salvage yard without the wiring harness, but did include the controller.

I made my own harness, used quick-coupler for the batt cables, a 3 way weather pack for the plow function, and behind the grill used a 6 way round trailer plug for the lights. It is 3 plugs, but it still only takes 30 seconds to plug them in.

I also put the remote control on a weather pack connector, so it can easily be removed for the off season. (which seems to be growing longer!) tymusic
  17. josh3049

josh3049 Junior Member

Where did you get the weather packs, did you have to cut the wiring on the controller to hook it all up. this sounds like what i might try to do. Just need to know where to get the parts at.
  18. TenOfClubs

TenOfClubs Junior Member

I got the weatherpacks out of a kit, but they are available separately from most auto parts stores. they do require a special crimp tool, but you can make due without.

for each wire in the connector, you need 2 terminals (1M/1F) and 2 of the the little rubber boots that must slip onto each wire before crimping. also you will need two housings (tower, and female end) in the number or terminals required.

I did cut off the plug on the controller, off the top of my head the wire colors were:
    red: 12v
    black: ground
    orange: to solenoid under hood (used in all positions except down)
    black with w/stripe: ground from plow light switch (supplys ground when switched on) I used it to ground 2 relays for the headlights (low and high beam)

I cant remember what the others were off the top of my head right now, but there was a blue which I think was down, as for the others, im drawing a blank right now.

the 6 wire for the headlights was nothing. A redundant ground, r turn, l turn, low, high, and marker/clearance.

pretty simple really.