1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Self built rear blade

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by woodchuck2, Feb 3, 2011.

1. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

It took me a couple days of cutting and welding but i got it done enough to work with in this last storm. I built it to use with my sander but funds would not allow me to purchase two new rams and lines so i went with a single ram for now. When i get the new rams i will cut out this ram and its supports so the sander can be re-installed. Took some time to get the geometry the way i wanted and it works well. I will be getting low guides for the blade and the way it tilts back they will work as feelers so the will hit the object before the blade does. The blade drops inward towards the truck when lowered so i have no worries of it swing down into the object i am in front of. I gave it just enough down pressure to pick up the truck several inches and by then the blade is right on its cutting edge so it digs in quite well.

I used an old 8' Western blade and cut off about 9" off the top. I picked up the blade, all the steel, two double acting rams "that are too big" with lines, a single acting ram, and some other misc. parts/peices for $300. I tried the single acting ram 1st and did not like it so now it has the double acting ram. The pump unit i took from a spare plow i had, the marine battery i had left over from when i sold my car trailer and i removed its winch before it sold. It still needs more work and i need to address an electric power issue with my trailer plug but other wise it works great.

GEDC0417.JPG

GEDC0419.JPG

GEDC0418.JPG

GEDC0420.JPG

2. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

not bad at all. you might wanna put some wings on it to catch the snow better when going around corners or pulling a full load.

3. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Yup, i was thinking of boxing in the ends. I dont want wings on the back is it sticks out quite a ways now, not past the mirrors but enough to make you nervous when you meet a State plow on the road and their hogging your lane. After using it today i see i need to make new brackets at the top of the blade that can be adjustable. I do not have quite enough down pressure with the front blade up or if the ground contour changes a lot. I am sure it will need some adjusting when the sander goes in the bed too as it will lower the rear of the truck several inches.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Looks real good. Throw some blade guides on it and you'll be all set.

5. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

that looks pretty impressive woodchuck i thought you put a flatbed on that truck though??????

6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Nah, sticking with the beds for now.

7. keitha

keitha Senior Member

I like the way it folds up when raised.

8. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

With it raising and lowering at those angles....won't it ride at all sorts of funky angles too?*when plowing* Why not use a similar length arm for the top and bottom?

Not doubting you, just wondering!

9. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I wanted it to roll backward when up for less wind resistance and so i could use the plow guides as feelers which i can easily see in the mirrors when they get mounted. I thought of doing a 4 link set up with same length arms but this is not easily done since i am putting rams on the side posts in the future. I have to keep the center opened up for the sander so i could not put any arms in the center. It actually rides quite well when plowing as so far it has been quite strong, i already backed into a utility pole and nothing got damaged. Still trying to get used to how far it does stick out.