1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seizing Brakes on 02 2500hd Chevy

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by UP_Mi_Snow, Dec 7, 2009.

1. UP_Mi_Snow

UP_Mi_Snow Junior Member

My right rear brake is seizing or I think it is. I had smoke coming from behind the rim and the rim/brakes were very hot. I thought it was the emergency brake locking up so I removed it but about 500 miles later it did the same thing again. I can smell brake pads and the rim/brakes are very hot again. Anyone run into a similar problem? Any suggestions?

2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Check that the caliper pins move freely. U would have to remove the caliper to check this.

3. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

id say greese the slids..lol or something! not sure but thats where i would start!

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Sounds like a classic caliper problem for sure.

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem on my truck a few weeks ago. The caliper slide pins were stuck. I ended up getting new caliper mounting brackets. Cheaper and easier than trying to get the pins out.

6. the_experience

the_experience Member

Cardone markets remanufactured calipers complete with new pins and the bracket. This is the way to go since you're having a caliper issue. FWIW, I've replaced just about every part on the braking system of the newer Chevys working as an auto tech, the exception being the drums they finally went back to that just plain work and are super simple with their single spring.

7. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

The same thing happened to my 07 GMC Sierra 2500HD. I replaced the caliper and everything and it was still happening. FInally got down to the bottom of it and it was the rear axel seal on that side and had nothing to do with the breaks. Except for the fact that my pads were soaked in axel fluid and it is the worst smell when it is burning off because it smells like burnt grapes.

8. UP_Mi_Snow

UP_Mi_Snow Junior Member

I replaced the caliper on that side and drove it around a bit today and every thing seems to be fine. If it was a bad caliper it was an easy fix.