1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seized spinner shaft

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by daniel1, Dec 20, 2011.

1. daniel1

daniel1 Junior Member

I have a spinner shaft seized within a bearing on a 1.8 yd. in-bed spreader. The shaft is not stainless and corrodes quickly along with the bearing given the fact it is in almost constant contact with salt. I even use fluid film pre and post season. Can I heat the bearing to unseize the shaft within it or are there better alternatives. I already bought a new shaft and bearing 2 years ago because of the same problem.:help:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

is the shaft out of the spreader??

3. popeye

popeye Junior Member
    from pa

You could try that . more than likely you will have to change bearings make sure your small bike chain on top just isnt rusted .take small chain off and see if spinner will spin I grease those bearings before putting away and take those small bike chains off in the spring and put in a bucket of oil until fall.

4. daniel1

daniel1 Junior Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned it is an electric Saltdogg spreader. No, I haven't take the shaft off the spreader yet. Everything is setup to throw salt today except for the seized shaft. I really don't want to get into taking off the bearing if I can unseize it as is. I purchased and installed one in the fall of 2010 and it took a week to arrive and I still ended up neeeding a new shaft along with it. I have too many commercial properties to keep black this winter with this as my only piece of deicing equipment. I should probably suck it up and by an Epoke and feel confident for 10-15 years. On a side note, will direct flame from a butane torch harm the bearing at all. Say, 5-10 minutes of direct heat. Thanks for any help.

5. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

If the bearing is seized, be prepared to replace it. In the meantime, you could try heating it slightly, then hitting it with a grease gun. The heat will help the grease run through better, and may loosen it up. Careful using too much heat around the poly too of course.

If that doesn't get you going, more heat may be required, but it's only a short term solution, the heat will cook the bearings anyway.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Most shafts are 1" and you can buy that pretty much anywhere and the same goes for the bearings. I've never seen your exact spreader so it could be special but I doubt it. If your taking something like that apart your better off to put new bearings on so who cares if you wreck it. Maybe I'm missing something as you say the shaft is siezed on the bearing but the bearing is fine. Why do you need to take it apart if that's the case?

7. daniel1

daniel1 Junior Member

Time and money's the big deal. 5 little one's in the household and no more overtime as a State Trooper in New York given multi-billion dollar state deficits. I have 14 small commercial contracts I take care of off hours so if I don't find angles to take in terms of repair I wouldn't make it. The lower half of the spinner shaft that is seized (it adjoins the upper half within a cylinder/set screw setup) is permanently molded to the poly spreader disc itself so that would have to be purchased also. I'll try some heat and grease first then try a 50/50 ATF and turpentine bath if that doesn't work.