1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seized packing nut

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Megunticook, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Disassembling 4-5 y.o. Fisher ram that had sat out in the weather unused for 2+ years (not mine--doing a favor). Chromed rod would not retract. Unthreaded packing nut, and now rod will move in cylinder, but the nut is frozen to the rod. Hit both sides of the nut with Kroil, but can't get it to budge yet.

Any tricks? Methods for whaling on it without damaging anything?

I had this happen years ago to an old beat up used ram that had not been cared for, worked on it for a few hours fairly brutally but finally just cried "uncle" and bought a new one . But it was old and pretty weathered. This one is still relatively new. Hoping to salvage it.

Thanks. I assume this happened because moisture got by the seal at the outside end (non-threaded) of the nut, causing the chromed rod to rust to the inside of the packing nut. I will tell my friend (a) be sure to grease up the rods before putting things away for the season and (b) don't let it sit unused out in the weather for years at a time.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just cut it as far as you dare on opposite sides. Then use a chisel to split the nut.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

dubbya D 40. use lots.

4. Megunticook

from Maine

OK, after 30 more minutes of wrangling and judicious pounding I freed it up. But it's still pretty sticky. Tried sliding it all the way off the rod but it didn't want to go.

Applied copious amounts of oil onto the rod and slid the nut up and down, rotated it, but still sticky in some places--sticky enough where it requires a rubber mallet to free it back up. Must still be a bunch of dirt/rust inside.

Should I just leave it as is, reassemble, and trust that the hydraulic pressure will be enough to slide the rod through the nut as needed?

Or should I just whale the stuffing out of it to get the nut all the way off and clean it up good inside?

I've already spent over an hour on this thing, and it's not even mine...hate to sink even more time into it.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

the hyds should push it. put it together and see what happens. if it wont work then you have to take it apart.

6. Megunticook

from Maine

Thanks, I greased up the rod and worked the nut back and forth, now it seems a little freer. I won't worry about it at this point. Thanks for your help.

Of course now I also discover that the street ells they used are the wrong type, not enough threads to seat fully in the ports while still leaving room for the hex fittings on the hoses.

Nothing is easy!