1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SEHP Quill question..how much effect and how far can I go?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by justme-, Jan 22, 2011.

1. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, had to do some emergency surgery the other day - cracked an angle cylinder and didn;t like the looks of the other one so 2 new cylinders, filter and fluid change and a happy plow later I decided to play with the quill again to try getting the blade to drop faster. Did this some time ago and got a reasonable increase, but a little more playing now and I'm not getting any noticeable change.
    After reading the mechanics manual again I know it should have some effect and I realize if I screw it in to slow it down it can affect the lift speed (not sure why one would want to slow it down), but realizing this is "old technology" and will never be as fast as the Insta-act pump setup- I'm wondering if I screw it out too far will I have some issues raising the blade (speed wise) or anything else for that matter?
    The new fluid and filter change/cleaning made a reasonable increase in speed all around, but it still drops slow, definite restriction in the fluid leaving the lift cylinder.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can back it out until it's nearly falling out with no ill effects other than it falling out, so of course you don't want to go quite that far. :D If it's still not to your liking pull the S1 valve out and check it for blockage buildup from the ram packing's which will restrict the valve enough that quill adjustments aren't effective no matter how much you back it out. If it looks clean and it's still dropping too slow then slightly loosen the packing nut on the lift ram to reduce drag.

One or a combination of all three should speed it up to your acceptance.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Thanks!:salute: