1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SEHP base lug

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Buster F, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Hey guys, i have to replace a broken base lug on one of my SEHP units and wanted to get some feedback. What are your experiences with the aftermarket units? Are they better or worse than the factory replacement? Knowing that this is a common issue i was a bit surprised that i was unable to find an upgraded unit to replace the cast piece that seems so prone to failure. Any advice?

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I think its made to break and be able to replace in order to save the unit. Pretty straightforward. I have a few in the toolbox to be able to replace it pretty quick.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

There's an aftermarket one? I wasn't aware of that. Then again....I've never once had an issue with them. In fact, I think I can count on one hand how many times that I've seen folks posting about them on here since I've been a member. The typical occurrence are stripped bolts due to the person behind the wrench / ratchet.

With that being said, I've never heard of an aftermarket one, so I can't comment to that effect. If it's like anything else though, I would stick to the OE. Would you happen to have a link to the aftermarket product? The only upgrade that I could think of is a steel one...but your talking about an aluminum body...so I'm not so sure that would be a good idea.

4. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Thanks for the input fellas, my local NAPA has the SAM replacement units in stock i guess i'll pick up a couple and carry a spare with me. Ryan, if you google "Fisher base lug" the results will be mostly aftermarket replacement parts. It seems from my research that "broken base lug syndrome" is most prevalent on 9' plows, i'm guessing that the extra weight may play a role. Thanks again, Roy

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have had one break. I have 3 truck that still have SEHP packs on the plows (At one point had 6) so after the one broke on us during a storm, I figured it was safe to keep a couple on hand.

Mine are Fisher/Western but I have found SAM parts to be pretty good replacements.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

all the plow parts companies that I have seen carry replacement lugs, all aftermarket. Check our sponsors.

7. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

if u ever bought one from paul then u bought a after market one :) u'll notice there pulled naked out of the yll cubby not handed over in the fisher labeled individual bag

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Never bought one from Paul. I bought one from Ash supply...back in 08(?) during my plow rehab. I think it's still in a box somewhere lol. I still to this day can count on one hand how often I've heard of them failing.