1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

segmented box plow vs. protech

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike ward, Nov 29, 2008.

1. mike ward

mike ward Member

Does anyone have any experience with segmented box plows like the Arctic vs the traditional box plow like the Protech. Also waht about rubber vs steel cutting edge. We are just getting started in the last year with these and have protechs in 12',10',8' and we have 1 10' arctic that we have not used yet.

Thanks, Mike

2. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

i dont knwo mucha bout the arctic box. but i know that the protech i have used works pretty well and had held up for quite a few years now.. as far as rubber vs steel edge.. rubber is going to be far more forgiving if you hit something say a man hole cover or a chunk of uneven pavement. a steel edge is going to be more rigid and you will feel it if you hit sometthing and the will scrape hardpack/ice up better.. however.. rubber wears faster and costs more but repair costs of your equipment need to be taken into account as well..

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

We have (3) 12' avalanche pushers with steel edges, and (2) pro-techs with rubber edges. The steel edge scrapes much better in storms where hard pack is an issue. We have had no problems with hitting things with the steel edge pushers and damaging our machines. The trip edges work really really well. We haven't had the rubber edged pushers long enough for me to give you a final thought on them, but the steel edge ones have held up great.

4. mike ward

mike ward Member

Which ones did you buy first?

Mike

5. mdb landscaping

We bought all of the avalanche steel edge pushers first. Two of them are going on their 4th season now. Two of them are mounted on Cat 416 backhoes, and the other one is a taller avalanche pusher and its mounted on our Trojan loader.

6. mike ward

mike ward Member

Matt:

What caused you to buy the protech vs the avalanche?

mike

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We started running rubber pushers about 10 years ago and I'm glad to say there all gone now. We only run steel trip now and 95% of the time steel is better then rubber. We just also bought a 14 ft and a 12 ft Artic pusher but we havn't used them yet, hopefully tonight. Steel trip is the only way to go period.

8. mike ward

mike ward Member

Dave:

We have just really over the last year or so started with pushers. We have 3 protechs and just bought a 10' Arctic for a 247 cat skid steer. We are looking for a pusher for a 904 cat loader and feel a 12 LD arctic would fit the bill, but got a little sticker shock at $6200.

Mike

9. mdb landscaping

Mike,
    I prefered the steel edge pushers from the beginning and thats why the first three we bought were steel. I think avalanche makes a more durable pusher than the pro techs. Last year we landed an account with a parking garage that specified we only use rubber edged plows and pushers, so thats why we got that pusher. its a 10' pro tech we put on a skidsteer. Recently we picked up another account causing us to need another 12' pusher. I priced out a new pusher in both steel and rubber, and the cost was crazy this year. Maybe i wouldnt have thought it was such a big shock, but we already invested quite a bit of money in extra trucks and sanders this year. i looked around for a used pusher with a steel edge but they are hard to come by, so we picked up a rubber edged one. I really haven't had the chance to use it much yet. The account we will be using the 12' rubber pusher on is a high traffice intense account. I wasn't as worried about hard pack on this account because we will be using magic salt, and will have crews on the site from first flake to last flake so hard pack should never really occur. If you can swing the cost of a steel edged pusher, Id suggest you go that route. Check craiglist constantly for your area or equipment traders. If you can pick up a niced used one an save yourself some cash, its definately the way to go.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I ordered mine in June and I got a 12ld and a 14ld for a little more then 10k. They had a promotion at Sima so I bought them there. For the price of them they better work well.

11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm:dizzy: .....okay, so I just bought my first NEW rubber edge "snow pusher" by protech yesterday. I haven't tried it out yet.... however, steel edge is the cutting answer to removing hard pack with down pressure on tractor loaders ( or industrial loaders, whatever)
    But when it starts snowing, hard pack isn't there instantly. So the rubber edge must have some benefit in cleaning surfaces. Its what was available for us to buy at the moment. Rubber edges probably have more squegee-like ability in slush, but then I've plowed lots with steel edge fishers in slush & they get the job done too.;) There must of been a reaon JD Dave had rubber edges 10years ago? They both have their advantages in certain conditions / places. I'd like to run both ! Or just buy a snowgate for loader buckets & presto, you have the cutting edge of your bucket !?!

12. mike ward

mike ward Member

Thanks Matt,

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

10 years ago very few people had pushers and we didn't know any different. Don't get me wrong rubber works but steel trip is just better. When it's really cold and you have lots of traffic packing the snow down, steel takes the hard pack off better. Btw we try not to use down pressure on our loaders.

14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Dave, do you remember the rubber edges wearing down fast? Get some pics of the pro-techs you bought too! :waving:

I basically got the ruber edge for delicate surfaces like interlock walkways at some of our commercial accounts. but yeah steel edge all the way for asphalt parking lots!

15. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

With my 10ft horst pusher it has a steel trip edge and I run it on my 580 super m and I only keep th eride control on ,that gives me enough pressure to take it down the the asphalt,but when it is hard packed i use the down pressure and just slow down a bit.