1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seen removal like this????

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by brbcbrent, Dec 20, 2010.

1. brbcbrent

brbcbrent Member

Maybe this is normal, but I've never seen residential snow removed like this before...starting around 8am a muni grader broke all the packed snow and ice along the sidewalk up and down the street and piled it in the center lane. I thought a loader with a blower would clean it all up....surprised to see just a bucket loader pushing these piles all over the road....more entertaining watching drivers trying to get around the process! A few got caught driving down the wrong way with no way to get over when oncoming traffic appeared :dizzy:

Some pics for your interest.....

2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

when ya don't have a blower ya gotta do what ya gotta do
  3. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

looks like some fun
  4. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a make work project to me.
  5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Never seen that before, maybe the residents just got tired of the snow mold on their tree lawns.:confused:

I guess it wouldn't be too bad though if all your trips were right hand turns.:nod:
  6. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Those hunks of ice look to be about 4~6 inches thick...they were probably afraid of busting a snowblower so they hauled with the loader instead.
  7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

X2 :drinkup:
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It's a clean job though. They use graders around here a lot for plowing state roads.
  9. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

seen it down here when a lot of ice build up or hard packed snow
  10. brbcbrent

brbcbrent Member

It was definitely a full-day (prob multi-day) project.....I'm impressed they went to the trouble, especially considering it's not a primary route (according to the city). I was especially impressed with the 'no parking' signs that went up about a half hour before the grader showed up! Almost like someone made the call that morning to do removal :confused:
  11. fisherv

fisherv Junior Member
    from vermont

A lot of towns around here do the samething. every couple of storms they have to pull sidewalks and clean streets to make room for more. That there looks way to hard for a snow blower
  12. bmac32

bmac32 Member
    from 19083

13. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

jeez so how many houses are going to go before save a basement gets there. Ive seen bigger lots in a trailer park
  14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Junior Member

Yes they do.

Seen that go on just yesterday.

Seen the snow berm in middle of street 3foot high in places while the cleaning takes place.
  15. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

They do that here every time it snows on the major city roads. The take a grader and pull it to the center adn load it with a snow blower into the city trucks to haul it away.
  16. dan67

dan67 Member

snow in the middle of the street

The city here plows to the middle of the street also. After a few plows they p.u at night using loaders and elevator type machine
  17. YoeSnow

YoeSnow Junior Member
    from 17313

Judging by the street signage, I wonder if it was due to a local school? Do buses and soccer moms and kids walking frequent the area? That could make it a priority.
  18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have sean similar things like that done around hear. But, they all ways do it late at night.
  19. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

Thats how we do it. We use the blower on softer snow...