1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seems a little high to me!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by blackDiesel, Sep 23, 2010.

1. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

Hey everyone, you all have been really helpful so far getting my on the right page to subcontract this winter. I've been researching a commercial insurance policy and have some numbers. The cheapest I found for a $1 Million liability plan was $2300 a year.:( Seems really high to me. Obviously that includes full coverage on my truck and plow, but still seems really high. What are others paying for insurance (I'm in Detroit Michigan area).
  2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That does seem high.

Try Ivey & Brown...they're in Hartland.

Margaret Brown ~ 810.632.6777
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Aspen Insurance out of grand rapids. Rick casteneda is his name. Much much much cheaper than that.
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

$2300 a year for Liability and full commercial on the truck....That does not seem that far out of line.......If your only Insuring for snow.You are going to find prices are pretty high...
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Doesn't seem too high to me, either. Also, how old are you and how much experience do have plowing snow? How is your driving record? If you have no history in the industry, you will be a high risk for potential claims. At 60 yrs old with a ten year history of no claims, General Liability and full coverage commercial vehicle insurance for me totaled about $1500/yr.
  6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Is this the Number i have been waiting for you to give me.....Ummmm....THANKS!!!!!:gunsfiring::dizzy::waving:
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Actually it is...would a friendly reminder kill you!

You're welcome sir. :D
  9. A&LSiteService

A&LSiteService Senior Member

I use Ivey & Brown. Maggy has always been good to me.
  10. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Especially for a startup or low-experience gig, seems like a decent price.

Could be on a $3000 beater with a plow or a 50k beauty; might make a bit of a difference on the auto side.
  11. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

thanks for the advice, I'll look into those companies. And yes, my truck is newer so I'm sure it's not helping the quote... I'll let you know what they say when I call them soon-
  12. GimmeSnow!!

GimmeSnow!! Senior Member

Does everyone use Maggie for insurance?? She is awesome! One thing though. You should make sure your annual sales are set right. Just got a notice today about an audit from Hastings. She still had my figures from 5 years ago. Looks like a big underpayment this year :( Oh well Maggie is still great.
  13. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

I have 2mil gl and a "any auto" policy for $3500 for the year with auto owners. and Im around west mi. I deal with Sue Baxter at Buiten & Associates. Her number is 616-284-3025 They are out of Grand Rapids
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of insurance is based on your zip code too. And what others already said,plus not they use your credit score to and what your company gross is.
  15. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I pay just under 1950.00 for my liability, commercial auto and replacement of my smaller equipment for fire or theft.