1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking truck advise

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mlc, Feb 1, 2000.

1. mlc

mlc Junior Member

I have been in the lawn fertilization business for about 10 years now and I am considering entering into the plowing business next season. I have been gathering much information throughout your discussion topics and think that these forums are great ways for everyone to learn. Currently I use enclosed 2wd box trucks and take them off the road during the winter months. I am entirely new to the plowing business. I was wondering if Toyota or Nissan trucks are capable/reliable at plowing small scale areas. Thanks for your input.
  2. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Toyota and Nissan makes very reliable trucks in my opinion. The only concern I would have would be the weight on the front end. If you stick with a lighter plow the truck will probably carry it OK. Also recommend dual batteries to help electrical drain.<br>These trucks are best suited for driveways due to their small size. Small commercials shoudn't be a problem either.<p>I have never plowed with one...so this is only my best guess...<p>Dave
  3. bill

bill Junior Member

I would visit the truck manufacturers dealerships and talk to them about plowing<br>with different trucks. The main thing<br>is the truck must be designed with a snow<br>plow package - in other words the manufacturer knows or says hey you can plow<br>with this truck. Snowplow prep usually has<br>stronger front springs, dual batteries,<br>heavy duty trans cooler and some other things<br>for plowing. My preference is a 1 ton diesel. It fits in driveways for me.<br>With a heavy pro plow any job is easy.<br>In my opinion the more heavy duty the<br>easier your work will be on the truck.<br>Hey it snows every year - a good 1 ton<br>will go through alot of profitable seasons.<br>Or buying used and getting a good deal<br>is what I did. The truck paid for itself.<br>bill<br>