1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking Subcontracting in NY

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by DAZ982500, Jul 7, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

At this time I would like to seek out the various options available to me in Subcontracting.I live in Southern NY.I need to find out one, what the going rate is for subcontracting (experience,equipment considerations) and second what avenues should I seek out to find out who subcontracts.Also, for those who have hired before or are at least familiar with this kind of work, give me an idea of the important things to be thinking about with this, (what is reasonable price/per hour,insurance issues,payment..cash/check) or anything else I should be informed of before accepting/rejecting.I am looking to generate more work this season and gain experience.Thanks Dave.
  2. Pete7

Pete7 Member

WHere upstate are you located? I am in Warwick, NY.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just a couple issues to be aware:

1. Payment - most legitimate companies will pay by check. This helps with their record-keeping. Beware companies who pay in cash - most likely this is a fly-by-night, under-the-table operation. Before I started plowing, I hired a guy to plow my driveway and a rental I own. He insisted on cash - no checks - which I didn't understand until I realized was to avoid a paper trail so he wouldn't get caught by the IRS (shows how naive I am). Insist on payment no later than every two weeks (after each storm is preferable). Keep records of where you were and when. If he requires you to fill out any record like this, keep a copy. Keep a copy of any agreement on wages/benefits. Do not agree to anything verbally, unless you really trust this company. If you plow for an individual, these tend to be less formal but more trustworthy.

2. Insurance - At a minimum, you will need to provide Commercial Vehicle Insurance with a copy of the policy to whoever you're hiring out to. You will most likely need to provide a copy of the General Liability Insurance policy showing you are insured for the type of accounts you will be plowing. If the contractor says you are covered on his policy (so he can pay you less :rolleyes: ), insist on a copy of the policy clearly indicating subcontractors are covered by this policy and that the effective dates are not lapsed nor allowed to lapse.
  4. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Thanks for timely and informative response.I will keep these points in mind.I am in Binghamton N.Y. a few miles NW of your location.
  5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

How long have you been in Binghamton? Perhaps you know Bob Osborne/Greg Osborne?
  6. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Me too. I'd be happy to meet with you for lunch or something. I'll be looking for subcontractors again this year and will discuss how I do things.
  7. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Excellent Advice Mick, I would add to seek out people who have worked as a subcontractor for the company you are thinking about working for, even ask for references from the prospective company. Ask these people about prompt payment, route size, types of work they ask of a sub, how many hours per average storm, was communication good between the contractor and the sub, etcetera. The interview process should be an open two way street.
  8. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

bTerry,I am interested with your business. Thanks Dave.
  9. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Turn on private messages or email.
  10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS...........TJP is a member here and subs also. He lives in Kirkwood.
    Will contaCT him and let him know about this discussion.
    Maybe he can throw a few ideas or network stuff your way..............

How about a meet and greet at Hooters down there?................geo
  11. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Yeah! I think you we're going to meet us there last year (or year before) but got busy or something. At any rate, I'll be there. There was somebody else that was going to go, I'll dig through the old stuff and let them know too.
  12. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Thats right................Man you have a good memory..........
    That was a year or 2 back right?

I'm ready for a road trip..............Set a date.................geo :drinkup:
  13. bterry

bterry Senior Member