1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking reviews of Buyers tgs06 tailgate salter.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frostyballz, Oct 2, 2009.

1. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

I am considering purchasing the Buyers TGS06 salt dog tailgate salter. I am wondering if anyone who owns one can tell me about it? Is it any good? can it spread a "dry" sand/salt mix? I know they recomend salt but with the vibrator I think I could use a dry mix. I dont really care about manually having to shut of the flow. I do like the overal attachment to vehicle, vibrator and 600lb. capacity. Im wondering what actual owners think of them?ussmileyflag

2. VEGGIEPLOW

VEGGIEPLOW Member

i have that spreader and like it alot... very simple, not to much to go wrong.... i will say i am thinking of upgrading to a bigger spreader just because im lazy and dont like getting out of the warm truck to fill the hopper!!! :D ive owned it for over three years and clean it after every use, along with a BIG COATING of wd_40......looks great and no rust at all...

3. bosman

bosman Senior Member

I've got the one with the variable spread, it's light and easy to install by yourself. It is worth the money, but you get what you pay for, if you know what I mean. I would not run a salt/sand mix through mine, I don't think the motor could take it. In fact, I don't even fill mine much more than half full of bagged salt because the motor can't take it.

4. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

Buyers TGS06

I ordered my spreader and Im waiting for it to arrive! I will let everyone know how it works this season. TGS06 spreader.jpg

TGS06 spreader.jpg

5. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

frosty have you tried running sand through it yet?

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I ran over three tons of wet sand/salt mix through mine during the last storm. You just have to be mindful of any clumps and do your best to break them up as you are loading it.

Im not sure what BOSMAN is saying by the motor not being able to handle sand/salt. There are only two motors. One runs the vibrator and the other spins the spreader. There is no auger or other method forcing the material down onto the spinner therefore there is no real way to "overload" either of the motors.

I've had good luck with mine so far and I hope you enjoy yours.

7. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

Buyers TGS06 spreader

I recieved the new spreader and just wired and tested the unit! I have to admit for a tailgate sander it is very large and rugged! The contoller is very easy to use and allows you to vary the speed of rotation, "blast" with the touch of a button and turn the vibrator on and off at any time. I haven't run anything through mine yet! but I have to admit the vibrator is a lot more powerful than I expected! I dont think I will have to much trouble running a mix through it, the vibrator can be felt in the drivers seet....LOL :dizzy: The one thing I do not like is the connections from the harness to the spreader I can see them getting damaged and they are a little difficult to connect and disconnect. I will post a bunch of pictures hopefully by the end of the week and keep evryone posted on the performance of the spreader.ussmileyflag

8. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

have it...love it...awesome for the price...sno-ex...swenson..magnum all wayyyyyyy overpriced compared to this unit...

9. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

Hello everyone! I was able to snap a couple of quick pictures of My New TGS06 Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Spreader looks good.
    Put a little dielectric grease on the connections. It might help taking them apart.
    From my experiences with tailgate salters you will have that spinner on Max most of the time.

11. cold_and_tired

When spreading sand/salt, I have found that a speed setting of 15 is perfect for a two car driveway. That speed allows my to keep the product off of the grass. 45-50 is perfect for a two lane road. I have to open the gate all the way in order to get enough sand/salt to flow so that i can drive anywhere between idle and 5-7 mph.

If you are using bagged product, start by opening the gate little by little. I learned the hard way and dropped 600 lbs in about 200 ft.

I have also found that a slim fiberglass curb or driveway marker is perfect for breaking up any clumps that block it up.

12. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

That is cool! I almost want to go back to bags and get one of those!

Na! LOL!

13. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

That Is the best tailgate spreader ive seen for the price!

14. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the spreader? Also what did it include; vibrator, harness etc..?? Are you happy with your purchase. Thanks Tyler

15. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

i paid $1100.00 out the door for everything cash & carry...i installed it myself, it was simple...includes all the wiring vibrator is contained in the hopper...it's a reese mount which is really nice too

16. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

Thanks for the reply. What are you mainly spreading with it??

17. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

Bagged Rock Salt

18. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

cost and location?

I bought mine online at www.angelos-supplies.com I paid $925 with crating and $130 for shipping! I thought that was a great price.....considering they wanted $1700 at a local dealer without install:dizzy: I found some great products and prices at the above noted website. Definatly worth checking out....they were very quick to ship and easy to order from, Ill use them again.

19. cold_and_tired

I have spread both bagged stuff and bulk sand/salt with mine. The bulk stuff flows fine if there are no big clumps for it.

I fabbed a screen for mine using 3/4" expanded metal to keep the clumps out.

20. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

For the price it seems like a good starter spreader for me. Some of the other tailgate spreaders are just so much money!