1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice on Retirement HOA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I already have this account so it is not another "tell me what to charge" type post, I already have that figured out, I just would like a little advice on what everyone thinks is the best way to do it during the winter.

First off, The contract states ( conditions supplied by the HOA) that the roads must be plowed every 2" during the storm and all of the driveways must be done at the end of the storm, or every 8" during the storm. I have the plowing all undercontrol, I will have my F350 with a 9'2" boss V doing both of the HOA's during the storm

The main thing is is that it is a retirement community so they are very particular on how they want everything done to keep everyone happy. The roads must all be plowed but a plow is not allowed to touch the driveways, They all have to be snow blown and shoveled by the garages. All roadways are to have a sand/salt mix and all of the driveways done with bagged ice melt, no sidewalks in the place.

So finally, my question is what would be the most efficient way to clear all the driveways? I have two of these places that are very similar, but yet only have two snow blowers.

I have three hours after the storm ends to have everything done completely, plowed, snowblown, sanded/salted, and ice melt put down. So I have three hours from storms closure to do both of these places.

My thoughts were, pick up two more snowblowers and have two guys at each place and each person with a snowblower and a shovel?
    OR
    should I keep just the two blowers and have one snowblower at each place and then a second guy at each place with just a shovel and laying down icemelt and shoveling behind the guy with the snowblower?

Any other ideas or better opinions all together from everyone else?

HERE is a link to a google earth picture of it.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=churc...cook,+Merrimack,+New+Hampshire+03275&t=h&z=17

2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

This sounds complicated and to be a pita. But once I saw the map wow. What a cake job.. 1. On what your profit margin needs to be. 2. how fast you want it done and 3. wheather you want the guys working constantly or taking breaks. For me personally I would said two guys with blowers and shovels, meet in the middle and they drop salt. That would be the fastest and they wont get burnt out as fast. But I would have also already had that in my plan when I placed my bid.

3. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I bid it to include 5 man hours each place, 2.5 hours each person, so i did include it in my bid but just because that is what I bid it at does not mean that i have to stick exactly to that method, If i can talk to more experienced people and get a more efficient way to do it then why not

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

That 5 man hours is just for snowblowing and salting by the way lol

5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I appreciate your opinion, but how long do you think it would take to do that place with one guy blowing and the other guy going behind, shoveling the garage, mailbox and putting down ice melt? I thought of the problem of them becoming burned out too but I have these guys coming in JUST for the end of the storm at these places, or at 8 inches, so They wont be working too long, I will have a separate set of guys at the second place.

6. firelwn82

Thats the #1 problem I see too. Coming in at the end of a storm is going to be HELL.... You will never get the snow up with a blower if and WHEN they drive on it. You will spread a ton of salt to melt it or go through shovels chipping it off. Also burning them out way quicker when thereshoveling 6-8-12 inches of heavy wet crap. I would say make them come in wih you. I personally would never agree to leaving a drveway for the end of a storm. I do my streets the the drives. That way i'm not dealing wih the mound at the end of the drive later after it has turned to a block of ice. What I'm trying to say is. Plow the road then the drive. If the storm drops more on the road again re-peat.

7. firelwn82

I'm not tryng to bust your balls here I'm just giving you honest opinions.

8. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Yeah i Understand, Although the best part is is that this is a retirement community and they NEVER leave during the storm, and all cars are in garages so there are no cars to go around. And there wont be any more than 8 inches on the driveway. So you think it would be easier to start earlier? Because you are right, they will ***** up a storm if we cant get down to the tar. Do you think having them snowblow and shovel every 4" would make it easier?

I do need to make them very happy with the service because I was recommended to them from another property that I maintain and they have acknowledged the fact that I was by far not the cheapest, but they are looking for quality because of the nature of the place.

9. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

Your statement about them not leaving in a storm is very wrong. We do several 55+ communities and they always have to go out even in a blizzard. Thats what old people do. The other thing is they are old and sit and watch you like a hawk to make sure you are doing your job. a wise man once told me that he didn't have 120 residents at the condo. He actually had 120 snow removal and Landscape experts. Good luck with the place and let us know how you do this winter.

10. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

haha exactly. I do all the landscaping and maintenance in the summer and that is just how it goes. As I am mowing the lawns I can see all the blinds move to the side as the watch me the whole time, Theyre all very happy with the service for the most part so I do not get many angry customers, but I am sure I will at some point.

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of good advise has been given. You don't state how many drives it is between the two complexes. The only issue I see is that finding guys willing to run a snowblower for 5 hours during a regular snowfall could turn into a nightmare during a heavy storm. Waiting until the storms over is just going to compound the issue. We did a bunch of HOAs, still have one, we had a storm come through a couple years ago, with wind blowing snow, ended up with 3+ feet in some areas on sidewalks took a while to get it cleaned up & certainly wasn't easy, my sidewalk guy was chipping the snow away then running the blower into it, backing blower up & repeat. This is why I don't bid alot if HOAs with walks anymore, when these storms come through there is no easy way to open the walks, commercial properties you can always pop a truck on, a skid with bucket, etc to get the bulk off then detail with a shovel or blower, HOAs no shot.

12. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

Why not a skid with a blower or a rubber edge plow? I had a place that complained about doing the drives with a machine cause the old guy had his siding crew shovel all 85 drives.

13. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

We have a very large HOA. I don't know if they state every 8 hours because they don't want to wake up the residents. That's the problem we have with ours. They are very picky about when we can and cannot be there. I know during the summer we can't start mowing until 10am there.

From looking at your map I count 17 small drives. If you want to do it with snow blowers I would send one guy down the right road with 9 drives, and the other down the left with 8 drives and let them meet at the end of the road. The drives are pretty well located together, but if you're thinking about 150 minutes per guy they have to be cranking one out, cleared and salted every 17 minutes, which is doable.

I think the most effective thing without using a plow of any sort would be a UTV with a blower on it and salt in the back. 1 guy blows and the other cleans up with a shovel and salts.