1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Security for equipment left on site?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JustJeff, Aug 17, 2016.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Hey guys. Thinking about adding a skid for the upcoming Winter. I sub for a company, and my route manager has been goading me into getting a skid and putting it to work for the company. He keeps telling me that it will get all kinds of hours. Blah, blah, blah...Anyway, I am considering it, but I don't want to haul it back and forth every event. I could leave it on one of our salt sites, which is a Pep Boys (our account) on Elston Ave. in Chicago. It's not a bad neighborhood, but after seeing a lot of you guys talk about theft and vandalism I'm concerned. Does "Lojack" still exist? But that's only good if they steal your equipment. I was also thinking about putting up a trail camera close by, so I'd have pictures of somebody or their license plate if they vandalized it or stole it. Any other ideas?

2. JustJeff

Bump. Anybody?

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

All our stuff has GPS on it, it's through the same security company as our shop system is.

Bottom line, if someone wants it they're going to get it. If they know what they're doing, not much will stop them. If you own a machine you're taking a risk. Doesn't matter if it's in your nice cozy shop or on site.

We've had more stuff stolen and vandalized at the shop than on sites. Hence the reason there's a 6K 8 camera system there now that's going to the new shop at the end of the month when we move.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

H.J. there a few different GPS trackers out there, not sure how good they are.
    Could also install a kill switch

5. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Doesn't the pep boys have cameras in the parking area. I leave my skid on site in view of the outside camera. Your in a more populated area than me.

I worry more about my truck when I'm on site plowing in a machine. I have chased crooks away from my truck. Never had no problems with machines, Just tools and stuff in the truck.

6. JustJeff

Not sure Fred. There probably are some in the front of the store where the parking lot is, but we keep the salt and a skid in the back of the store in an unused parking lot. I'll have to check.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I don't think pep boys would mind if you left your skid in front with cameras, Just make it safe and cone it off a little.