1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Securing plows

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by V_Scapes, Jan 31, 2013.

1. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

A western plow was stolen recently in town and now im kind of nervous about mine sitting out in the open. I live in a very low crime area but its easy enough to hook up to a ultra mount plow. I never worried about it until now, i dont have the anti theft on either of my westerns.

I was hoping to see what everyone else does to secure their plows while not in use. Id chain mine up but its also just as easy to cut a chain with bolt cutters.:confused:
  2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

3. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Thats a good idea but wouldnt it be easy enough to cut the lock with bolt cutters? I thought about using a lock like that but was thinking i might run into trouble if water gets in there and freezes.
  4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I put mine in garage or I hook it up and block it between the curb and the truck its hooked up so its firm against the curb with the truck they can't get it out.
  5. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

i keep mine inside but when they are outside i just pad lock the sh*t out of them then run a cable through them. its not theft proof but will make thieves think twice because they have to cut everything.
  6. snowish10

Mines always in the garage, When its on my truck i have bolts through the receivers instead of the pins and a lock on stand through the plow.
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Park a truck or trailer in front of it/them. That's what we do.
  8. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

I put a 1/2" hitch lock thru the lock pln holes in the lower lift frame. Dont really know how effective it is but thats what it says to do in the owners manual. I use it both when its on and off the truck.
  9. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

No matter what you do if someone wants it they will take it, you may make them work harder that's about it.
  10. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I know theyre easy enough to steal. I do like the sound of the hitch lock idea.
  11. snowish10

I do the same thing, Ill put up a picture of the lock and plow.
  12. snowish10

Look under the thread Homemade Ultramount Plow Lock (Pics) I have my lock for my plow out there.
  13. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

If you drilled a hole just large enough to get a lock through it on the top of the "prong" you should be fine. Put a lock through it large enough to keep anyone from pulling into it. You probably wouldn't even have to lock it. It would probably be enough of a visual deterent. For long term storage, disconnecting the lift ram hose or taking off the plow side power cable works great!
  14. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

could tie your dog to it.
  15. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You can't worry about making things UNstealable. Everything CAN be taken with the right tools. PERIOD. So don't worry too much about what criminals are going around with what equipment to do what to who. In other words, it is excessive to go under the assumption that every thief around is carrying bolt cutters. Why bolt cutters and not an angle grinder?

And for that matter, what makes you think that a thief will even BOTHER hitching the plow up? Hitching it up wastes time, and requires that the thief have a hitch for THAT BRAND of plow. The thief will probably just back up to it and load it on the back of a truck. A 7 foot plow can be loaded by one guy, much bigger than that, and probably two. Regardless, it takes about 10 seconds for two guys to load virtually any plow onto the back of a truck.

There are only two things you can do to secure a plow; lock it to something IMMOVABLE, or keep it somewhere secure like in a garage or behind a locked gate.

Also, homeowners or commercial property insurance probably covers it. Someone once stole my log splitter, insurance bought me a new one. Check with your insurance company to confirm.