1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Securing mounting pins

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

What kind of keepers do you guys use on your pins? I have tried the hairpin cotter type and they have fallen out. I have also tried the linch pin style like THESE. They have also fallen out. It creates a big problem when these keepers fall out since the mounting pin falls out next. I am currently using the linch pin style with a turkey tie holding it shut and a bungee cord running across from pin to pin for a safety measure. I have got lucky three times that nothing got tore up when the pin fell out but I don't want it to happen again. What is the solution?

2. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I know what you mean. I never lost any until this year.- more stacking?

I lost 2 sets in one night, lost my back up, got lucky and walked the lot, fount it. - big pin

never found the cottor pins, I used a bungy cord, and a smaller pin, to fill in for the MIA.

Even lost the stand pin

I am going to use small gauge air craft cable the secure the big pins to the plow and the small pin to the big pin.

It was 2:30 on the second pin what if I could not find it. 15 miles from the shop, which the best I could do there is a bolt, a little too small?

Next Day I bought 5 sets and put them all in the truck.
    Any have lost 2 of those 5

3. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I use locking pins. Its can be a pain in the a$$ unlocking them sometimes, but I know they wont come out and no one can steal my stuff

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've only lost the stand pin. My solution was to redrill a new hole farther in on the pin. Make it about 1.5." in from the end. Basically just short of the dimension from the pin of the lynch pin to the inside of the ring when its extended out to 90 degrees.Then any snow/ice forcing the pin open will try to force the pin backward out the hole, shortening the clearance the ring has in order to pass over the end of the stand pin.

5. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

BigDawg, What kind of locking pin?

elite 1, I have always been able to find the big pin due to the fact that when it falls out the plow swings around. The pin is never very far away. I have never found the hairpin cotter or linch pin when they fall out though. I imagine this spring I will find a few where the piles are around the neighborhood.

streetsurfin, That is a good idea. I can only move the hole in about 1/2" (due to length of pin) but I imagine that much will help a little.

Thanks for the replies and keep the ideas coming.....

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Crumm, I hope it helps for you if you try it. For the mounting pins, which on mine, use hairpin clips, I gave the clips a squeeze in the vise to give 'em more bite.

Caution:
    I just remembered an accident a co-worker had putting the pins in. One clip popped out before getting all the way in and nailed Bill right in the eyeball. I think he blinked in time and it hit over the white of his eye, he kept his vision but had a very colorful eye. So, I wanted to caution people...safety glasses may seem like overkill, till you have a clip fly at you, but sheild your face if you have to struggle with the clips because of ice. Make sure you have a good grip on them.

7. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

If I'm talking about the same pins you guys are, the ones that mount the plow to the truck, you can use a standard trailer hitch receiever pin with a lock on it. The pin goes thru the hole and then the lock slides over the pin on the end and locks it. It works nice becuase you dont have to worry about them falling out and you need a key to unlock it so no one can steal you plow. I also have locking pins on my plow motor where it mounts to the frame so no one can unbolt it and walk away. :D

8. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

BigDawg, My mounting pins are about 1" in diameter as where hitch pins are only like 1/2" or something like that. My mount is a western crossbreed.