1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Securing a V-box in a reg pickup bed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WHITE=GREEN, Dec 20, 2002.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

looking for some ideas on how to secure my new buyers v-box spreader in my pickup bed. the first time i used it i tried nylon rachet straps that were rated at 3500# a piece. im not real keen on the idea because the nylon straps stretch. i would rather put permanent anchor points on the bed and use chains and binders to secure it. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of nylon straps. They stretch and break without warning. We use chain and turn buckles to anchor the spreader to the bed. Make sure you use anti-seize on the turnbuckles.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

where do you attach the chain and turnbuckels on the truck? i dont think those anchor points they sell that go in the pockets are strong enough to secure 4000#.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

First of all. All the mounting instructions for every spreader I have seen instruct that the spreader should be bolted through the bottom of the bed as well as secured to the top. Some say to use chains some say to use straps. I prefer the straps. As a rule we usually use straps to secure all equipment in trucks and trailers. We still have some chains but seldom use them.

The straps are easier to handle, lighter, cleaner and IMO less dangerous. Once you take up the initial strecthing they are usually fine. Besides part of every pre-storm maintainence should be to examine binders or straps. While I am sure they have broken I have never seen one. I have seen more then one chain break. If you overload something it will break.
  5. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Which truck are you mounting it to? I put eye bolts with fat washers in the beds factory holes in the Ford pick-up. On the flat beds we use recessed D-rings. I thought about those rubber stake anchors but I don't know what they are rated at.

6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i took 2 pieces of 2" by 4" by 8' by 1/4" angle and welded d-rings to it. then bolted it to the top of my bed rails (with large plates under the rails). i made 4, 6" square by 3/16" thick plates, welded a d-ring to each and bolted them to the corners of my sander.then i used some chain, some shackles a 4 binders and lashed it down.
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

SIMPLE!!!! We took out our two front bed bolts (the ones that go through bed and frame) replaced with looped eye hooks from a dock company! Now its secured right to the frame. We had 2 other sanders in previous years rip the pickup bed even with a steel plate under it! What 2.2 yards of wet sand will do! Most of the local shops have seen what we have done and are doing that on there brand new trucks so it wont damage bed. We use 10,000lbs staps 2 on front hooked to eye bolts in front and same in rear (absolutly no movement)
  8. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I also use straps. My new Chevy had hooks at the bottom of the bed in the corners we attached them to.

Before anything we bolt two 2x10'S through the bed to the frame at the front and read of the v box. The holes in the salter aren't wide enough to bolt directly to the frame so we use the wood. Then lag the salter to the wood, that's the reason for two so that a 3" bolt wont hit the bed. The salter in my truck doesn't move at all, when it moves the truck moves.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I mount mine like Brian does,On the C/K trucks,I drill up from under the truck,on the front bed mount,on the frame there is an ear and a hole outside the bed bolt,i run the 1/2 drill bit right thru there into the bed,I make up a plate out of 1/4 thick angle iron,2"x3" long,i cut a slot in it,drill a 1/2 hole,and slide a 1/2X5" long bolt thru to the bottom,and use a locking nut on the bottom. On my Dodge it had bed anchors already,but they are tiny and down under the bed floor,my V boxes straps were way to big to fit,so I removed the front bolt from the bottom,then drilled the hole to 1/2 and did the same thing as my GM's.Ive never had a problem doing it this way.
  10. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I use 4 of the 2" nylon straps rated for 10,000 lbs. One on each corner, looped thru a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate that has a slot burned into it for the strap to go thru. The hook at the other end of the ratchet is then hooked onto the stake pockets of my dump insert. The spreader itself never moves more than a 1/2 inch in any direction, but the dump insert along with the whole body will sway a bit if the V-box is full and I am going a bit quick in a turn.
    Just take it easy (as you should be in any bad weather) and you shouldn't have any problems.